Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

Trying to pick out composite decking.

I have finished laying all the joists and I am about ready to buy the decking. I am trying to figure out the best type and color. My local lumber yard sells both Trex and Fiberon. I was leaning towards a PVC coated board since it is less resistant to fading or peeling.

I would also like input on the color to choose (see images). My house is a dark brown and the deck will span 40 feet across by 18 feet deep. I was worried that the 18 foot depth would cast a huge shadow inside the house. I tried to combat this adding a few skylights. I also thought a lighter decking would help. I think the choice is a lighter brown or gray but, I don't see much decking material in light brown......its all dark brown. Please note that the rendered images have structural members and other items removed for a better view of the deck.

Lastly, I think the 40 foot span may make for a montonous look. I saw a post on here once with a link that showed how to add accent boards so, I think I can figure out how to add the boards. I am looking for suggestions on accent ideas. For example, should I divide the 40 feet by four 10 foot spaces and add 3 accent boards to divide up the spaces? Perhaps I could use a darker board for the accent.

Your experienced input is greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Trying to pick out composite decking.-beall_deck_rev3_view1.jpg   Trying to pick out composite decking.-beall_deck_rev3_view2.jpg   Trying to pick out composite decking.-beall_deck_rev3_view3.jpg  

Bugman1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
Pro

Rewards Points: 75

Which way do the deck joists run?

CarpenterSFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman1400 View Post
I am looking for suggestions on accent ideas. For example, should I divide the 40 feet by four 10 foot spaces and add 3 accent boards to divide up the spaces? Perhaps I could use a darker board for the accent.
Accent borders always take a deck up a notch and looks much better than butt joints imo. Hard to comment on colors (lighter or darker) without seeing the color scheme of your house now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (06-23-2013), woodworkbykirk (06-23-2013)
Old 06-29-2013, 11:18 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 77

The deck joists run perpendicular to the house so, the decking will run parallel with the house.

The house is dark brown in color. I intend to use a metal, dark green roof as shown in the images.

Any other suggestions?
Bugman1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,006

Pretty home layout.

Go light on the color if you can. It will retain less heat and the composite decking boards do get super hot in some cases.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
Pro

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Accent borders always take a deck up a notch and looks much better than butt joints imo. Hard to comment on colors (lighter or darker) without seeing the color scheme of your house now.
I agree. If you're doing an accent color, then mitered frames in that color. Blocking in joist bays to support the boards running perpendicular to the main decking.

CarpenterSFO is offline   Reply With Quote