Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 262

trusses vs stick framing

long story short, I am planning out a 20x20 garage, with a simple single ridge roof.

Truss package is $600 delivered. Or if I stick frame it with collar ties or a ridge beam I am looking at about $300, and I would just drive to the stock and pick up the materials myself.

For a DIY'er with ZERO framing experience, which would be the better choice?

cbzdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,078

trusses vs stick framing

The truss package will probably require you to rent a crane for a day, which will drive the costs up significantly. Installing trusses without a crane may be possible, but I have not seen it done, perhaps there are those on here who can describe a safe procedure for erecting trusses without crane.

Stick frame is certainly doable for a DIY'er. I suggest using steel brackets (Simpson makes a whole line of them) to attach the rafters to the walls. If you use a ridge beam, you will also need brackets to attach the rafters to the beam, but of course then you can skip the collar ties. Just for curiosity, did you include brackets in your cost, or were you planning to nail everything? $300 for the roof seems a little light if you go with brackets.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 262

trusses vs stick framing

That was just a rough estimate for wood only. I just looked up the cost of 2x8 in the length I need then added up what I would need and got about $260.

As for the trusses. The price quote includes a crane, BUT the problem is I cant use it, and there is no discount if its not used. Where I want to put the garage, it is surrounded by overhead power/cable/phone lines. It would all be installed by hand. I asked the tuss supplier about this and he said that it can be done pretty easily with 3 people. He said one on each end to pick it up and walk up a ladder, and then one in the center to walk up a ladder and rotate it upwards.

I would only have a total of 11 trusses. Heck it may even be easier to lift them upright on the outside of the walls and then slide them down the top plate?
cbzdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:08 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

trusses vs stick framing

I've set many of them years ago with 3 people. Set them upside down on the plate, a guy on either end up on the top plate and one (the biggest guy you can find) in the middle. We took a 2"x4" with a smaller piece nailed to it to make a "y" that the middle man used to start raising the center. The end guys can help once it gets to a certain point. My partner and I were lucky enough to know a guy who was about 6'-6" and 240 lbs. for our "middle man". These were one story jobs, and it was back in the mid 70's so we were young guys, but I'd tackle it even today with perhaps 4 guys my age (58).
tpolk (08-23-2011)
Old 08-22-2011, 08:29 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,002

trusses vs stick framing

cb,
I just finished setting 28' scissor trusses on my garage addition. It took four of us. They didn't flip as easy because of the boomerang shape. Your 20' trusses should be easy. The only thing is you still should have someone on site that understands how trusses are supposed to be installed and has experience doing them. If someone knows what they are doing, it isn't that hard. But, bracing is critical and careful handling of the trusses is too. If they aren't braced properly while you are installing them, they can topple like dominoes.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:32 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

trusses vs stick framing

These were one story jobs, and it was back in the mid 70's so we were young guys

jackpercy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:12 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

trusses vs stick framing

Trusses allow longer interior spans with no supporting colums. Trusses reduce time building roof systems. Stick built is cheaper for materials, and slower. Requires a better knowledge of framing techniques.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #8
Too Old

Rewards Points: 250

trusses vs stick framing

Go with trusses you will get it done quicker and when it comes to the time of inspection you should have no issues. To many things can go wrong with stick building trusses when you have no knowledge of what you are doing. Get the crane to set the trusses with the ridge and bottom cord overhang setting on the plates (3 points) then stack the trusses you should be done before noon.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:05 AM   #9
Chaos Engineer

Rewards Points: 150

trusses vs stick framing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
Trusses allow longer interior spans with no supporting colums. Trusses reduce time building roof systems. Stick built is cheaper for materials, and slower. Requires a better knowledge of framing techniques.
100% agree with this. Longer spans will help.
Big N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:06 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,000

trusses vs stick framing

As a DIY'er that has built a few garages of similar scope as you are doing - and having done both stick built and trusses - I would recommend to go with the trusses. More money, but not a lot more. Less time. The biggie is that it's easy to get a straight and quality roof with trusses.

For what you are doing three guys can quickly and readily install them. Set them upsidedown on the top plates and rotate up.

IMHO...
Old 08-24-2011, 09:34 AM   #11
Too Old

trusses vs stick framing

I don't get the upside down truss hanging deal? I found it much easier to set the trusses flat on 1 end of the top plates start with the gable end then put in the ridge block and freeze blocks, roll another truss nail off the truss then put the ridge block in and freeze blocks, repeat you are only talking about 11 trusses. 3 guys is fine but you only need 2 up and 1 goffer on the ground, 20' trusses are not that heavy. Precut all the blocks, I put 1 toe nail in the block and space them along the top plate but do not nail the toe nail to the top plate use the head of the nail to hang the block.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:36 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,002

trusses vs stick framing

Havalife,
Depends on the pitch of the trusses. Your method will work with shallow pitch trusses. Once the trusses start getting some height to them, they are tougher to flip up when they're on the wall. Also they are very easy to damage if not flipped in unison with proper support in the middle. When they are hanging upside down, they are actually pivoted into position without putting any twisting stress on them. While they are hanging upside down also, there is no stress on them. The walls need to be braced in either case to keep them straight while setting the trusses, or rafters for that matter.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #13
Too Old

trusses vs stick framing

I have done this up to 9:12 pitch, for me it's easier to slide the truss off the stack and raise it. Flipping sounds like more work to me but I know everyone has a way that works for them I have not seen nor tried to flip trusses. I should be done with the walls this week and stacking a 4:12 over the weekend so I will try flipping (only 1 truss to start) and see if it is easier for me.