Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2008, 05:28 PM   #1
DIY

Share |

Trusses

I am working on getting a shop/garage put up on my property and we (a contractor and I) have run into a bit of confusion over trusses.

Some specifics...

26x30x10 stick frame with pre-built trusses, 6/12 pitch, 16" overhang.

I became concerned about attic space, there was confusion, and I went off and did some research on trusses. Now, it seems that for this size truss, a Fink W would be the default choice, and the contractor suggested room/attic design.

The basic question here, when it comes to prebuilt trusses, what kind of costs are we realistically looking at, and what kind of cost difference between some of the more basic designs?

gp_wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:06 PM   #2

Trusses

Well, a fink W truss is a very basic truss design, and doesn't normally lend itself to useful attic space (storage, living space, etc). For cost alone, it is probably the most economical option. It makes a good roof and ceiling, but a bad floor.

If you're wanting true storage space of attic space that will be useful for anything other than service of the attic area itself, you should consider having a truss company design a truss with that in mind. I've seen a number of buildings where they used 2x8, 2x10, or 2x12 bottom chords in trusses to make them useful as floors as well as ceilings. The trusses are of course webbed differently as well.

As for cost, you'll need to contact a truss company in your area, and/or direct the pricing questions to your contractor. Call the truss manufacturer directly and don't go through a lumberyard or box store 3rd party. Some lumberyards do produce their own trusses though. The more people that serve as intermediaries in a truss design, the more problems there will be in the long run!

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote