Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2008, 10:54 PM   #1
Longtime DIY

Rewards Points: 10

Truss strength

A few years back I built a 36x60 pole building. I used engineered trusses spaced two trusses every 12 feet, clear spanning the 36 foot width and attached one on each side of 6x6 posts. The roof is about a 4/12 pitch with 26 ga.metal roofing. What I'm wondering is if there is any strength in a pair of bottom 2x6 cords so I could hoist a 55 gallon drum weighing about 400 pounds about ten feet out from the 6x6 post without additional truss support.

ageingrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Truss strength

I'm Not an engineer by trade but I don't think that's a good idea. Trusses are designed for span, Load and ceiling weight ( sheetrock). Not lifting from. What you need is a Gantry to lift stuff like that.http://www.hoistsdirect.com/wallace_...FR30IgodKnbjgQ
I've seen guys walking on trusses and break them. All it takes is a bad joint and your going down. I walk em but I put scraps of Plywood under me to distribute the weight a little. It's still bad practice.

James Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Truss strength

Hard to say for sure, but I'm inclined to agree with James Con. It would probably hold it, but in the event of snow load or a good stiff breeze the overall performance of the truss would probably suffer with the bottom chord load that wasn't a design consideration. That might mean problems, it might not.

Can you get ahold of the truss company that designed the trusses for you and ask them if you could add a shared 400 point point load at that location? They could probably calculate it pretty easily for you in their software.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:22 AM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Truss strength

I think it would depend on whether you plan to leave it there permanently. I have seen guys hoist car engines from trusses with some 2x8s spanning several at once. It never harmed the trusses, but then each situation is different. Termite has the best idea. Have the truss manufacturer give you a load sheet.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:09 AM   #5
Longtime DIY

Rewards Points: 10

Truss strength

The only reason to lift off the trusses is to unload a pickup. I have no plans to leave them hanging. I didn't figure anyone could give me a positive answer without more structural info, but thought it was worth a try. Thx. all.
ageingrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:20 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 554

Truss strength

If the drums are sealed and you are only going to do a couple, get a set of ramps and roll the drums off. You will need at least one other strong person to help.