Truss Issue - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
Member
 
Spydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 107
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Truss issue


I have a slight hump on the outside over hang part of the roof. It's about 2ft up from the edge. The roof is a low slope roof. I went up into the attic to inspect that area and noticed where the hump was, the truss seems to have separated from the joist. What's the best way to fix this? I've attached a couple pics so that you can get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Thanks,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Truss issue-image-820662610.jpg   Truss issue-image-2481005553.jpg  

Advertisement

Spydey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 27,774
Rewards Points: 664
Default

Truss issue


That's some interesting framing you have.
Hard to see much in those pictures.

Some reasons for the truss to up lift.
It's just toe nailed in place and no hurricane ties, the toe nail just blew out the side of the cord.
Plywood installed to tight, there was suppose to be H clips between the panels in the middle of the trusses and gaps where the short butt ends meet.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...lectedIndex=42

In one of those pictures the lower part of the plywood looks pretty funky, water damage from no storm and ice shield on the roof and or no drip edge, clogged gutters, not enough over hang on the shingles?

No insulation up there? What's up with that? in your area there should have be R50.

Advertisement

__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:48 AM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,849
Rewards Points: 2,012
Default

Truss issue


It looks like your hump is being caused by a sag of the tail of the truss. considering that the plywood also looks like it has some water damage, my guess would be that the tail has some water damage as well. Today, you would put hurricane ties where the truss meets the beam, and I would add those if it were me. It is possible to sister a new 2x4 to the side of the truss to correct the sag and then replace the damaged plywood. I am guessing this is some kind of shed, garage or pavillion by the construction?
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
Member
 
Spydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 107
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Truss issue


Thanks for the quick reply and sorry for the poor quality pics as it was hard for me to take clear pics while holding a flashlight and phone at the same time. The house was built in the mid 70s so the framing must have been quite different back then. There was probably some slight water damage near the edge but that has been taken care of. The roof has been reshingled a year and a half ago with ice and water shield 6ft up from the edge. There's no insulation on that part because that area is the overhang part of the house. You see in the pic, the bottom is the aluminum soffits. The rest of the attic have wood chips for insulation which isn't quite adequate by today's standards but that was the standard back in the 70s.

Last edited by Spydey; 11-22-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Spydey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
Member
 
Spydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 107
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Truss issue


Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6
It looks like your hump is being caused by a sag of the tail of the truss. considering that the plywood also looks like it has some water damage, my guess would be that the tail has some water damage as well. Today, you would put hurricane ties where the truss meets the beam, and I would add those if it were me. It is possible to sister a new 2x4 to the side of the truss to correct the sag and then replace the damaged plywood. I am guessing this is some kind of shed, garage or pavillion by the construction?
Thanks for the reply. This is part of the house. It's right above the front door. Sort of the overhang part of the house. Sorry if i didn't explain it properly. I'm not sure what the correct term is for that area. I've attached a pic of the front of the house. You can't see the hump in the pic but it's in the area to the left of the door. You can see how that part of the roof over hangs the house.
Attached Thumbnails
Truss issue-image-224252890.jpg  

Last edited by Spydey; 11-22-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Spydey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 27,774
Rewards Points: 664
Default

Truss issue


Wood chips have never been a standard or expectable way to insulate an attic.
Any way you could have someone stand in that area to see if it goes down and have the truss make contact again. If so doing that and adding the hurricane tie I posted may take care of it.
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #7
Member
 
Spydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 107
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Truss issue


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
Wood chips have never been a standard or expectable way to insulate an attic. Any way you could have someone stand in that area to see if it goes down and have the truss make contact again. If so doing that and adding the hurricane tie I posted may take care of it.

Ya, I don't think so either regarding the wood chip insulation. I plan on having it vacuumed out and have proper insulation blown in. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm gonna take the sheathing off that area once the weather gets warmer and see what's the best option I have to repair it.
Spydey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #8
Retired from the grind
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest - Central Illinois
Posts: 14,417
Rewards Points: 2,496
Default

Truss issue


As for that truss, improper install, and a heavy snow load can cause that. What part of Canada are you in? Any other trusses with that kind of damage?

I am guessing those are not original to the home, and added later on. What year was your place built? I am guessing mid to late 30's, or mid 40's, with the framing for the ceiling, along with style of overhang on the porch area.
__________________
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 11-22-2013 at 03:47 PM.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
Member
 
Spydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 107
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Truss issue


Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll
As for that truss, improper install, and a heavy snow load can cause that. What part of Canada are you in? Any other trusses with that kind of damage? I am guessing those are not original to the home, and added later on. What year was your place built? I am guessing mid to late 30's, or mid 40's, with the framing for the ceiling, along with style of overhang on the porch area.
You are correct. Was most likely a heavy snow load. I'm in Edmonton, Canada and the winters here see tons of snow. I couldn't see all the trusses but everywhere else on the roof is flat and even which leaves me to believe that they're fine. I guess that area doesn't have much support because it overhangs and with heavy snow, could cause it to sag. Regarding the trusses, I'm pretty sure they are original. The house was built in the mid 70s.
Spydey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #10
Retired from the grind
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest - Central Illinois
Posts: 14,417
Rewards Points: 2,496
Default

Truss issue


That pitch to me is too low, if you are getting that much snow load, to cause failure at the tails.

I would contact a local Truss manufacturer, and show them the pictures, see what they state about the fix. Worse case scenario, they may suggest going with 2x6 trusses vs. keeping those 2x4's.
__________________
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:40 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,834
Rewards Points: 1,182
Default

Truss issue


...

Never mind. I can see the picture better now for some reason.

Last edited by DexterII; 11-22-2013 at 05:16 PM.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #12
Member
 
Spydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 107
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Truss issue


Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll
That pitch to me is too low, if you are getting that much snow load, to cause failure at the tails. I would contact a local Truss manufacturer, and show them the pictures, see what they state about the fix. Worse case scenario, they may suggest going with 2x6 trusses vs. keeping those 2x4's.
I will look into that. The rest of the trusses in that area look fine it's just that 1 that came off. Probably need to reinforce just that one.
Spydey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:10 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,993
Rewards Points: 2,052
Default

Truss issue


As someone said, cut those toe-nails (holding it elevated- expect it is under tension pressure- be careful) and add a nailer to the side of the truss to reattach the hanging porch ceiling as the trusses are cantilevered out carrying it all. Popular in the '60's (in CA) though with snow loads....... sure hope there is a bearing wall behind that tree- out of the picture, lol.

Gary
__________________
If any ads are present in my answer above, I do not condone/support/use the product or services listed, they are there against my permission.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:04 AM   #14
Member
 
Spydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 107
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Truss issue


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in WA
As someone said, cut those toe-nails (holding it elevated- expect it is under tension pressure- be careful) and add a nailer to the side of the truss to reattach the hanging porch ceiling as the trusses are cantilevered out carrying it all. Popular in the '60's (in CA) though with snow loads....... sure hope there is a bearing wall behind that tree- out of the picture, lol. Gary

Sounds like a plan. Thanks Gary for the insight. Much appreciated and yes there's a bearing wall behind that tree. It's only the small porch area that over hangs. Rob

Advertisement

Spydey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
truss uplift jklingel Drywall & Plaster 2 04-24-2013 12:18 AM
Sheet rock and truss uplift jklingel Building & Construction 13 01-04-2013 10:46 PM
Westinghouse furnace issue joe8918 HVAC 9 12-04-2011 06:50 PM
how to reduce mositure issue on basement? diy001 Building & Construction 0 10-28-2011 01:44 PM
Perplexing AC issue AvalonGirl HVAC 22 08-17-2011 07:49 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts