Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2008, 05:58 PM   #1

Share |

Truss Dimensions

Im thinking about these dimensions for my trusses for my pole garage. 22' wide in a typical triangle design with a 2' hight in the very center. Sound Good? Im going to order them prebuilt BTW.

jk333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:31 PM   #2
Building A House

Truss Dimensions

That sounds very shallow. A typical roof truss will be something like 4:12 or 5:12 pitch. With only a 2' center height, you're likely going to need a rubber roof or some other special roofing treatment.

Ezekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:40 PM   #3
Structural Engineer

Truss Dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk333 View Post
Im thinking about these dimensions for my trusses for my pole garage. 22' wide in a typical triangle design with a 2' hight in the very center. Sound Good? Im going to order them prebuilt BTW.
What do you mean by "pole garage?" Are you talking about a prefab garage kit?
wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:43 PM   #4

Truss Dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezekiel View Post
That sounds very shallow. A typical roof truss will be something like 4:12 or 5:12 pitch. With only a 2' center height, you're likely going to need a rubber roof or some other special roofing treatment.
Hmmm, ok, what height do you reccomend?
Old 10-29-2008, 06:44 PM   #5

Truss Dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
What do you mean by "pole garage?" Are you talking about a prefab garage kit?
I mean something like this its not exactly what i want to do, but the same basic type of building.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:12 PM   #6
Building A House

Truss Dimensions

Quote:
Hmmm, ok, what height do you reccomend?
I would use at least a 4:12 pitch. This translates into a center height of 3' 8" with your 22ft span.

In reality what I'd do is call the local lumber yard and have them put a kit together. Either that or call a company like Blitz Builders. They offer packages or they'll put the building up at a reasonable price.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:05 PM   #7

Truss Dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezekiel View Post
I would use at least a 4:12 pitch. This translates into a center height of 3' 8" with your 22ft span.

In reality what I'd do is call the local lumber yard and have them put a kit together. Either that or call a company like Blitz Builders. They offer packages or they'll put the building up at a reasonable price.

Sounds good, thank you Ezekiel
Old 10-30-2008, 09:00 AM   #8
Building A House

Truss Dimensions

Quote:
Sounds good, thank you Ezekiel
Glad to help.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:10 AM   #9

Truss Dimensions

I'm not sure how involved you plan to be in the actual construction, but I've had some success calling local truss makers and asking if they have any over-runs or returns or anything that they can sell cheap. I got the trusses for my shop for less than half price, but I had to buy one extra, and they were a little wider than I originally planned, but it still cut my project price by quite a bit. You have to weigh the cost benefit in trusses to any impact it might have on the entire project.

Just a thought....
o_jay66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:07 PM   #10

Truss Dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_jay66 View Post
I'm not sure how involved you plan to be in the actual construction, but I've had some success calling local truss makers and asking if they have any over-runs or returns or anything that they can sell cheap. I got the trusses for my shop for less than half price, but I had to buy one extra, and they were a little wider than I originally planned, but it still cut my project price by quite a bit. You have to weigh the cost benefit in trusses to any impact it might have on the entire project.

Just a thought....

i didnt think about that, if you dont mind me asking, how big, how many and how much did your trusses cost?
Old 10-30-2008, 01:53 PM   #11

Truss Dimensions

It's been a few years ago, and this wasn't the same type of building. I was planning on 28' span with a pitch at least 6:12. The truss guys said they had some 32' span, 8:12 trusses, but they had one more than I needed. They sold them to me for half what the estimate was for new ones to my spec just to get them out of their yard and get something out of them.

I used to figure about $3 per span foot for truss cost, but the last ones I had quoted were 24' span, 8:12, and they were $92 each. I live in the Midwest, so your price might vary.

Hope this helps.
o_jay66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:16 PM   #12

Truss Dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_jay66 View Post
It's been a few years ago, and this wasn't the same type of building. I was planning on 28' span with a pitch at least 6:12. The truss guys said they had some 32' span, 8:12 trusses, but they had one more than I needed. They sold them to me for half what the estimate was for new ones to my spec just to get them out of their yard and get something out of them.

I used to figure about $3 per span foot for truss cost, but the last ones I had quoted were 24' span, 8:12, and they were $92 each. I live in the Midwest, so your price might vary.

Hope this helps.

Thanks alot, it does