Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2009, 08:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Triple Top Plate or Double Stills?

For some strange reason (I guess because of the height of cinder blocks) the load bearing walls in our unfinished basement use 8'1" studs (i.e. 8'5-1/2" from concrete floor to floor joists when you account for stills on concreate floor and double top plates to rest joists on).

Of course when I go to finish the basement, this means I've got to get 9' studs and cut them. But I've wondered if rather than using the longer wood if I couldn't save some money by either doubling the still or tripleing the top plate when I go to add non-loadbearing walls so that I could use 8' (72") lumber. Actually, if I could do both, I could get away with actual 8' studs (still each cut to length, but then I'm only wasting around 1" of wood per stud rather than nearly a foot).

HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:30 AM   #2

Price out the cost difference in 8' and 10' lumber. You could possibly use the drop from the 10' for fire blocking... Not a pro, but if you elect to use 8' I'd add more 2x to the bottom plate. You don't have so much to drill for your wiring. Use pressure treated for the bottom one resting on the concrete.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:17 PM   #3
Drywall contractor

Yep, and it will give you extra nailing for the top of your baseboard so you don't have to worry about hitting a stud....
Old 12-29-2009, 03:13 PM   #4

Yes, a standard 92-5/8" stud from the lumberyard will work. With the three plates (4-1/2") plus wood exacts = 97-1/4-" Check your slab, exactly. You may have to shave a saw-blade thickness off each to clear the joists, depends on the slab. May want to take 3/8" off them to ease standing built wall upright, then shim every 24"-32" to joists.
Use a sill sealer under treated bottom plate for capillary and thermal break.
Be safe, Gary
Old 12-29-2009, 06:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
Yes, a standard 92-5/8" stud from the lumberyard will work. With the three plates (4-1/2") plus wood exacts = 97-1/4-" Check your slab, exactly. You may have to shave a saw-blade thickness off each to clear the joists, depends on the slab. May want to take 3/8" off them to ease standing built wall upright, then shim every 24"-32" to joists.
Use a sill sealer under treated bottom plate for capillary and thermal break.
Be safe, Gary

Maybe I am miss reading the OP post or you are. I think he needs 101.5" not 97.25". I would just use a double bottom plate and a double top plate then cut the 8' stud down to what you need.
paul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:11 PM   #6

Whoops, thank you for that! Some days..... lol. He also doesn't need a double top plate but does need fire-blocking every 10', horizontally and vertically (top of wall).
Be safe, Gary
Old 12-29-2009, 07:18 PM   #7

non load bearing,single bottom, single top, get pre cut 9' studs (102-5/8) i believe

tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote