Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #1

Share |

Triple 2x10 beams - how to attach to 6x6 post?

I'm designing a two-level deck, which will have triple 2x10s for beams, and support posts every 7'.

Where the top deck steps down to the lower deck, there is a 2' change in elevation. I really want to use a single post at this location, but I am struggling with the best way to do it.

I want to meet IRC. The picture here would likely fail -- too much of the beam is hanging out over the outside of the post. Notching the post further would weaken it too much to allow supporting the higher deck.

Do you think bolting 2-by lumber to the face of the 6x6 post, under the beams (as a cleat), would do it? Something like this:

I thought about sandwiching the beams between TWO notched 6x6s -- but that starts to look like massive overkill.

If someone can tell me the correct way to support two beams this way, I would really appreciate it...thanks...
chrisv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #2

8x8s (or 6x8s, if you can find them)
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #3

...or consider going with deeper beam (x12) and using two instead of three, if the numbers work out
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisv2
I'm designing a two-level deck, which will have triple 2x10s for beams, and support posts every 7'.

Where the top deck steps down to the lower deck, there is a 2' change in elevation. I really want to use a single post at this location, but I am struggling with the best way to do it.

I want to meet IRC. The picture here would likely fail -- too much of the beam is hanging out over the outside of the post. Notching the post further would weaken it too much to allow supporting the higher deck.

Do you think bolting 2-by lumber to the face of the 6x6 post, under the beams (as a cleat), would do it? Something like this:

I thought about sandwiching the beams between TWO notched 6x6s -- but that starts to look like massive overkill.

If someone can tell me the correct way to support two beams this way, I would really appreciate it...thanks...
Call your building department and ask the inspector. They can answer you.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #5

Thanks for the quick responses, guys. After posting I thought about the 8x8 solution and will check with the building inspector to see what he says.

Anyone here who was faced with similar and has a code-compliant solution to share, I'd love to hear it, too.

Thanks!
chrisv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
AHH, SPANS!!!

you could maybe still use the design you show with part of the beam sticking out of the notched post and just use a heavy gauge L angle underneath the part that sticks out and bolt through the post to connect the L angle. or consider structural lvl type beam that would reduce down to probably just 2 lvl members forming the each beam with a 3 1/2" notch required.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #7

I had a similar issue in this thread and ended up putting a triple 2x12 beam on top of 6x6's using something similar to this Simpson post cap. You might then need some diagonal bracing from post to beam, but in my research there's no other good way to connect a triple 2x beam to a 6x6.
thetalkingmule is offline   Reply With Quote