Triple 2x10 Beam Construction - Can Nails Be Covered? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #1
I ask the impossible!

Rewards Points: 508

triple 2x10 beam construction - can nails be covered?

So as I will soon be constructing one of my 4 beams which will be close to the house perimeter, some areas will be difficult to access with my nail gun from the outside, and the beams are being built in place. It would be easier to assemble the outer 2 boards, nailing from the inside, then nail the 3rd board over the nail heads. Is this allowed as seen in my diagram?
Attached Thumbnails
triple 2x10 beam construction - can nails be covered?-triple-2x10-nailing-question.jpg  

Advertisement

Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

This warrants a call to the people who will be inspecting it, not asking us.
Around here, the inspectors can be very picky, and might even insist on seeing the nailing pattern... despite the fact that some nails might remain hidden in certain construction.

Advertisement

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
I ask the impossible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
This warrants a call to the people who will be inspecting it, not asking us.
Around here, the inspectors can be very picky, and might even insist on seeing the nailing pattern... despite the fact that some nails might remain hidden in certain construction.
My building inspector does not tend to be very picky. For the most part, if it's a matter of whether a building inspector may or may not have an issue, if I ask here it's because I don't expect my particular inspector to have an issue but I'd still like to know whether it is acceptable building practice.

I have had my nailing pattern verbally specified by my engineer as 3 nails every 16".

Let me ask another question then. If I want to nail from the outside, but I can not access some areas and nail some of the beam where the nails will be covered up - and I come back later in the spring to add the exterior nails, could too many nails reduce the strength of the beam? (I am probably way overdesigned because I've had to exceed the specified design due to working around obstructions, leading to more posts, more beams, less span for the beams and the joists they will support, etc.)
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Don't see why you can't do that, but tell the inspector what you're going to do and then take pics of it as you go
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrgins For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (02-02-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,030

We did it all the time. As we sheeted the walls before we stood them you couldn't see the nails on that side anyway.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #6
retired union carpenter

Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

that is the way we've always nailed them since 1950's
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #7
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 160

your situation depends on the inspector. with more and more shoddy framing being done these days inspectors are getting harder on contractors.

one of the first things they look for on a beam is proper nailing, then they look to see if its the correct size beam for the span. take photos immediately with the date and time clearly shown in the photo . other wise consider cladding the beam with thin fence boards or azec so to hide the fasteners and dress it up at the same time
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #8
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillK

My building inspector does not tend to be very picky. For the most part, if it's a matter of whether a building inspector may or may not have an issue, if I ask here it's because I don't expect my particular inspector to have an issue but I'd still like to know whether it is acceptable building practice.

I have had my nailing pattern verbally specified by my engineer as 3 nails every 16".

Let me ask another question then. If I want to nail from the outside, but I can not access some areas and nail some of the beam where the nails will be covered up - and I come back later in the spring to add the exterior nails, could too many nails reduce the strength of the beam? (I am probably way overdesigned because I've had to exceed the specified design due to working around obstructions, leading to more posts, more beams, less span for the beams and the joists they will support, etc.)
Doesn't matter what's acceptable from anyone here. It matters what's acceptable where your from. Just simply ask your inspector...he HAS to tell you. Why not call him and ask?
Old 02-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #9
I ask the impossible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
Doesn't matter what's acceptable from anyone here. It matters what's acceptable where your from. Just simply ask your inspector...he HAS to tell you. Why not call him and ask?
At work during the day, I am often in meetings making it hard to make a call during business hours - beyond that, the inspector has office hours at the first hour and last hour of the business days... So it's infrequent that I have the opportunity to call her at the times when she is available. Asking here is more convenient for getting an initial feel, if something I was going to ask turned out to be such a bad idea that everyone says don't do it, then I can proceed to come up with a different plan without waiting to talk to the inspector.

My intention is to exceed her requirements and try to build in a manner that will be satisfactory to an inspector who is more strict.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #10
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 514

Some inspectors here will not accept pics in every situation. We make it a point to always nail three ply beams from both outer faces. I agree with everyone that a call to the inspector is mandatory.

Advertisement

sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote