Trim Out Windows Over Hardiplank Siding - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2011, 02:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Trim out windows over hardiplank siding

I want to remove plastic shutters and install 1x6" wood trim around windows butted up to window casings on my house over lapboard hardiplank. anybody ever done that? Would it be best to use nails or screws?

thanks

Advertisement

subvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,482

I’ve see it, looks terrible, has some inherent problems. The bugs love it though.

If you want to trim the windows you should use 5/4 or 2x trim, scribe and cut the siding install head flashing and your trim and caulk.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (03-30-2011)
Old 03-30-2011, 07:23 PM   #3

I agree, I took a board out and held it up it would require a lot of caulk on outside edge and I dont think it would look that great either now that you mentioned it. So that blows the easy way out. next question Ill be on a 20' ladder doing two double windows. outside of a skill saw what would be a good light weight tool to use in cutting the siding? Also reinstalling the head flashing......would I just slide the flashing up and bend over top of board? or will I be running into nails from siding and have to cut the nails?

thanks
Old 03-31-2011, 06:54 AM   #4
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,482

I would not usually recommend a battery trim saw for Hardi but for just a couple of windows off a extension ladder I would.

You shouldn’t have to bend the flashing over the trim, buy the flashing with that bend already in it.

Whether there will be any nails in the way depends on where the next lap of siding and row of nails is.

If you do run into nails use a “new” 9” metal Sawzall blade and cut slow. You could damage the Hardi if you’re to aggressive cutting the nails.

Some other notes:
Cut the siding a ” above the top piece of trim and don’t caulk the siding to the flashing.

Make sure the top flange of the flashing goes behind the building paper and not just the siding.

Don’t cut through the paper on the sides and bottom (the tricky and most important part), cut the siding a little short, break away and finish the cut with a chisel or razor knife.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:49 AM   #5

Thank-you ....very good, thats what Ill try. I think the Battery saw will do it for me. Im 63 and my arms don't have the strength like they used to.

Thanks again

SubVet