Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2009, 12:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Trim for door in corner?

I am ready to trim out a door in a newly finished room. The door is right in the corner of the room, with only about 2.25 inches between the hinge and the corner. The standard trim I have fits if pressed in firmly, but doesn't allow me to have a proper reveal (it's pressed right up against the hinge). Also, the adjacent wall is slightly bowed, causing a small, but noticeable change in the gap between the trim and the corner. I would have no problem using narrower trim, but I can't find anything smaller at my local stores. The only idea I have is to trim that door using some left over door stop pieces I have laying around. Any other ideas?

raida357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Trim for door in corner?

you simply cut the wide side (outside) of the trim to the space you have available. Scribe the edge you will cut to follow the bow in the wall. you will also need to trim the top corner of the top trim piece. Trimming is easy when the framing is right. Here you are seeing the results of poor planning (door less then 6" to the corner) and bowed wall.. (used a board with a crown or not quality lumber or green lumber) and no one supported the corner to both walls properly to avoid the bowing. Good corners are perfect. Always!

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 02:09 PM   #3

Trim for door in corner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
you will also need to trim the top corner of the top trim piece.
Wouldn't the difference in trim width from one side of the door to the other be noticeable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
Trimming is easy when the framing is right. Here you are seeing the results of poor planning (door less then 6" to the corner) and bowed wall.. (used a board with a crown or not quality lumber or green lumber) and no one supported the corner to both walls properly to avoid the bowing. Good corners are perfect. Always!
And this wall was built by "professionals"!
Old 11-22-2009, 03:53 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Trim for door in corner?

Quote:
And this wall was built by "professionals"!
no by a hack that had the "" to charge someone for that. There is no excuse for any of the conditions you are trying to work on. Anyway the small width difference will not be as noticeable as the door squished into the corner. the trim is only 2 1/2" and you are only trimming a 1/2" of off it. I've had jobs where the door or window trim needed to be only 1" at the corner.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:56 PM   #5

Trim for door in corner?

Cool, thanks!