Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2009, 02:05 PM   #1

Share |

Tricky Backsplash installation

I'm new to the site; this is my first post. My fiancee and I are renovating a kitchen, basically building it from scratch. A problem arose this week after the countertops were installed on our kitchen island.

Tricky Backsplash installation-island-backsplash.jpg

The tile I've chosen for the backsplash is a tumbled slate that is 1/2 inch thick. Unfortunately, there is only a 1/2 inch space below the bar top counter overhang, thus making it nearly impossible to install backer board over the wood and dead space where the backsplash will go. (Note: to the far left there is also a vent opening for when we eventually install a gas cooktop here.)

a) Should we remove and reposition the quartz countertops ourselves? This option scares me to death, as if anything breaks or cracks, we're out buku $.

b) Is thre any suggestion as to how I could "fill" the dead spaces so I can just mastick the tile directly to the 2x4 construction? There's little space to nail anything here, and I've run out of ideas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

katliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:48 PM   #2

Firstly, use 1/4" cement backboard (Wonderboard) to minimize depth - pretty sure HD stocks this. After that, here are a couple of options:

1) select different, thinner tile no thicker than 1/4"
2) if using same 1/2" tile, try to find matching bullnose to top it with to be flush with the higher countertop (in which case, you might want to use 1/2" backerboard to true everything on the same vertical plane)
2) if using same tile and 1/4" Wonderboard, dig out 1/4"+ from each of the 2x4s with a chisel (be sure to protect your brand new countertops!)

Don't forget to count for the add'l thickness of the thinset (1/8" ish, doesn't have to be too thick for this application, I would think).

Hope this helps.

toocheaptohire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:49 PM   #3

by the way, your cabinets look just the ones we put in last year....
toocheaptohire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kitchen remodel, tile backsplash, tile installation