Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #1

Share |

Trex transcend scratching all over

My deck is still under construction. The builder is using trex transcend. It has long and short scratches all over it, and I actually was able to scratch it with my fingernail. There is a u-tube video where they were unable to scratch it with a key. I sat in a patio chair with plastic leg protectors and scootched as one would leaving a table and it gouged the surface! Supplier came out to look, took pictures, and thinks it is a bad batch. Trex rep hasn't seen it yet but will. The plan is that the big box store will replace the Transcend with the same or different product at no expense. It's a huge and expensive deck. I love the look and feel of Transcend, and if I knew this was really not typical of the product, I'd pick it again. However I do have real reservations about making the same mistake twice. I have to admit, I have little faith in the word of a biased company. The word of those who use and install carries far more weight. The builder, right in front of me slid some very lightweight aluminum across and it dug scratches in. I looked at Ipe to substitute, but it is more than double the cost and I'd like to stick with composites Menards sells. The alternatives are lower priced trex lines or the Menards product. Is my description of the ease of scratching typical for REAL use of Transcend? I already know what the promotional materials say...

Last edited by Speech creature; 08-05-2012 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Spelling
Speech creature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #2

Here's just one of the many web sites I found with complants againt the product.
http://trex-lawsuit.com/index.html

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Speech creature (08-07-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #3

I use Fiberon horizon a lot, it's similar to transcend in that it's a cap layer composite decking. It's not bullet proof but it holds up fairly well.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robertcdf For This Useful Post:
Speech creature (08-07-2012)
Old 08-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #4

Thanks Joe. I also found sites like that, but they typically pertain to earlier generations of the product, which doesn't help me out. They also specifically address spotting and flaking--neither of which is my problem--YET.... I'm really concerned about the ease of scratching. My builder went to some homes he installed the decking in awhile back, and none are having the problem I'm having. I can literally scratch the Transcend with my fingernail. I just cannot believe this is typical for Transcend. Their ad shows use of a key doesn't leave a mark. I also spoke with Trex on the phone, and the agent said they do that key test as part of their training, and he was unable to leave a mark on the sample. I would feel so much more confident if I heard from actual Trex Transcend owners who can say that their deck does not easily scratch every time something comes into contact with it, such as a chair leg....
Speech creature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:30 AM   #5

Hi Speech creature,

I am a representative of Trex and saw your post. Please let me know if I can assist or answer any questions regarding your concerns.

Brittany
Trex
BrittanyM is offline   Reply With Quote