Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 13
Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Default

Trex Decking & Railing Systems


We installed Trex Decking and Railing Systems three years ago after much researching and talking with local building material retailers. The Trex brochures stated: "You can feel safe with Trex. Trex provides a ten year residentail and a five year commercial warranty with comprehensive and transferrable coverage against splintering, splitting, cracking, rot, decay and material defects".

After three years, our deck and railing system has all the above and has failed miserably. Will Trex honor the above statement? Of course not! Even though they know admit they produced a faulty product in their Nevada plant, did they contact the retailers and unsuspecting consumers of this product? Of course not! Are they reliable, honest, and to be trusted? Hardly!

The trusting public and honest retailers should not have any dealings with Trex materials. The public should think twice before investing their money in such an inferior product. The public would be better off with third rate wood materials.

And, honest contractors should protect honest consumers by being upfront with the public about Trex products and refuse to install these materials.

Trex deserves to be run out of business and I can only hope that people on this Blog will pass the word!


Last edited by Patricia Folsom; 09-08-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Patricia Folsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:50 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Levittown, Pa.
Posts: 520
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Trex Decking & Railing Systems


Patrica,
Thanks for sharing your disappointment with Trex. There is a class action suit against Trex that you should join. But for the record, you should first contact Trex and ask for warranty repairs and see if they satisfy your requirements and save all paperwork if they don't satisfy you. However, I think Trex has resolved the problem manufacturer that produced the product. But this makes no differance to the many customers whose warranties were not backed up 100% by this company. When this problem first surfaced, Trex did back up their warranties but later on as the problem worsened, they must have run low on cash to back up their warranty. I know of a friend whose new home has a deck being built with Trex and I warned him about it, but he won't listen. This company should be run out of business because of the way they treated their customers that had complaints.

rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:29 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 13
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Trex Decking & Railing Systems


Thank you rJordan for your informative response.

We have contacted Trex with the problem, they sent their inspector and responded with little or no offer of correction. We can pay for tear off, haul away, and all new labor costs......they offer only to replace the boards. This is peanuts, as you can well imagine.

If you have any idea who we can contact, or what web site we can investigate to join this Class Action suit, I would greatly appreciate your passing it on to us.

Again, thanks for your support. Needless to say, I am fuming!
Patricia Folsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:19 PM   #4
Custom Deck Builder
 
BuiltByMAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 76
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Trex Decking & Railing Systems


Do just a little research online - there are many unhappy people and several ways to get on board the lawsuit wagon - this forum has several threads regarding TREX, as does Bob Vila, as does Garden Web, etc, etc...

Not sure where you did your research 3 years ago, but they've had problems and unhappy customers for a while now...

Mac
BuiltByMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:03 AM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 13
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Trex Decking & Railing Systems


Thanks Mac for your reply. We did a lot of research talking to people at Lowe's, Home Depot, Fox Galbraith, and many contractors in our area. We never heard anything but praise about Trex materials.............go figure!
Shame there is so much misrepresentation in the Trex brochures. It is sheer fraud considering they knew of their problems.

We shall continue negotiating with them and will let our attorney handle it if push comes to shove.

People in our community are shocked at this event. Since I view them as an educated and informed group and certainly do not care to see anyone else duped, I think it is best to have as much info out there as possible concerning Trex's deceit. And, I will continue sending letters to the contractors board, Arizona Attorney Generals office, Better Business Bureau, and as many Arizona materials retailers as possible.

People really need to stand up and put this company out of business.
Patricia Folsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:28 PM   #6
Green Builder
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sedona, AZ
Posts: 58
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Trex Decking & Railing Systems


Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia Folsom View Post
We installed Trex Decking and Railing Systems three years ago after much researching and talking with local building material retailers. The Trex brochures stated: "You can feel safe with Trex. Trex provides a ten year residentail and a five year commercial warranty with comprehensive and transferrable coverage against splintering, splitting, cracking, rot, decay and material defects".

After three years, our deck and railing system has all the above and has failed miserably. Will Trex honor the above statement? Of course not! Even though they know admit they produced a faulty product in their Nevada plant, did they contact the retailers and unsuspecting consumers of this product? Of course not! Are they reliable, honest, and to be trusted? Hardly!

The trusting public and honest retailers should not have any dealings with Trex materials. The public should think twice before investing their money in such an inferior product. The public would be better off with third rate wood materials.

And, honest contractors should protect honest consumers by being upfront with the public about Trex products and refuse to install these materials.

Trex deserves to be run out of business and I can only hope that people on this Blog will pass the word!
Patricia, I don't know who you have been dealing with or your particular situation, but Trex has been very pro-active in replacing decks that suffered from a manufacturing issue. I have personally inspected and replaced a LOT of Trex decks under their warranty program.

It has been pretty painless for the consumers - we show up and in a few days they have a new deck! No out of pocket expenses at all. We are now also replacing some other composite decks under their warranty programs, so lots of companies have had some production "issues".

On the other hand try getting your wood deck replaced because of surface defects.
chalk_hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:37 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Levittown, Pa.
Posts: 520
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Trex Decking & Railing Systems


Chalk_hill,
Did Trex have a change of heart? No expense at all for replacing the deck and railing materials? This is not what many people have been saying about Trex. When Trex saw there were too many complaints about their product, their idea of a fair settlement was to replace the materials, leaving the homeowner with the cost of paying for the labor again to install it. That's not a fair settlement. Read the other threads about Trex on this forum and other forums.
rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:00 PM   #8
Green Builder
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sedona, AZ
Posts: 58
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Trex Decking & Railing Systems


Quote:
Originally Posted by rjordan392 View Post
Chalk_hill,
Did Trex have a change of heart? No expense at all for replacing the deck and railing materials? This is not what many people have been saying about Trex. When Trex saw there were too many complaints about their product, their idea of a fair settlement was to replace the materials, leaving the homeowner with the cost of paying for the labor again to install it. That's not a fair settlement. Read the other threads about Trex on this forum and other forums.
I have read several of the other threads. I'm not a Trex rep so I can't say what has happened with regard to decks I haven't personally been involved with, but I can say that Trex has replaced dozens in my region over the last year, paying for labor and material.

Do they offer materials only first in the hope the homeowner will be satisfied with that? Its a possibility I suppose. I did have one client who replaced his own deck and had it go bad AGAIN 2 yrs later. Trex offered him (an inadequate) amount of money in lieu of repairs, but he declined. At that point I came into the picture and Trex paid over $25K to replace the entire deck and rail all over again.

I could be quite wrong, but my guess is that Trex did not understand the true nature of the product failure issue (different from the mold-spotting issue) until a lot of product was out there and installed. And that they weren't able to adequately track that material already in the distribution pipeline to prevent some of it being installed even after they knew they had a problem.

When you consider that the installed price to the homeowner for say, a $5000 deck might only represent a $500 profit to Trex, it must be a major hit to the bottom line to then pop the full $$ to replace that deck. A lesser company would simply have gone out of business (and doubtless some have).

Again, I can't say what has been happening outside my sphere of experience, but since they handed the ball to an outside warranty servicing company a year or so ago, the process seems to have been much more orderly.

I will also speculate that some disingenuous folks out there who would like Trex to replace their deck because they spilled salad dressing and BBQ sauce feel incensed when they are told its not a warrantable issue.
chalk_hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:41 PM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Trex Decking & Railing Systems


Yes, I have a very similar situation brewing. Our 600 s/f deck was built in May of 2007 and the decking has faded excessively, warped, and has noew started to split and separate on the sides, and yes, black spots too. Additionally our rails are sagging and warping. Trex sent out their 'official' inspector and he determined there are no Trex related problems as the deck was constructed improperly. This is complete BS and only a diversion away from the truth of the matter. We are in round two of having them replace all decking and provide new. I don't hold out hope so we may have to join the new class action lawsuit. Anyone else in Colorado already involved in this or thinking about it? If so, please contact me. Unbelievable the lack of customer service by TREX, they don't deserve to be in business. - Raven
gpraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:55 PM   #10
Green Builder
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sedona, AZ
Posts: 58
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Trex Decking & Railing Systems


Quote:
Originally Posted by gpraven View Post
Yes, I have a very similar situation brewing. Our 600 s/f deck was built in May of 2007 and the decking has faded excessively, warped, and has noew started to split and separate on the sides, and yes, black spots too. Additionally our rails are sagging and warping. Trex sent out their 'official' inspector and he determined there are no Trex related problems as the deck was constructed improperly. This is complete BS and only a diversion away from the truth of the matter. We are in round two of having them replace all decking and provide new. I don't hold out hope so we may have to join the new class action lawsuit. Anyone else in Colorado already involved in this or thinking about it? If so, please contact me. Unbelievable the lack of customer service by TREX, they don't deserve to be in business. - Raven
It sounds as though you have multiple issues - some of which relate to improper installation. Railings are most likely to sag because they were not supported per the installation spec. "Excessive fading" is certainly subjective. The defect they are covering is deterioration of the material - visible breakdown of the surface of the decking. I suggest you refine your argument exclusively to the written warranty. If your Trex is falling apart, insist they have it replaced. If your car stopped running you wouldn't accept replacement engine parts from the UPS truck. But you wouldn't expect Toyota to repaint it every year because it faded either.
chalk_hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:03 PM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Trex Decking & Railing Systems


Yes, we have very specific issues with our TREX product and they have been communicated to TREX very clearly in-line with their warranty requirements. The fading, bowing, warping, separating and spotting of the decking is a direct warranty issue. The rails were supported properly in some instances but still this is not the focus of our TREX warranty effort. The fact that they divert attention away from their product when there clearly are defect issues is unacceptable. By the way, excessive fading is not subjective when brown turns almost white. We'll continue to push for deck board replacement, and have our attorney ready to go if they refuse a 3rd time. Just what I wanted to do after spending $14K!
gpraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:06 PM   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 13
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Trex Decking & Railing Systems


Thanks for your communication and interest. Sorry so many of us have been so 'duped' by Trex.

We are still struggling through our problem, and I am contacting as many local people I can to make them aware of the lack of honesty with Trex and their willingness to sell to the public, materials they now will fail and a product they will not stand behind.

I would appreciate any info you can give me on the class action suit, and like you, we are also ready to bring our attorney into the action.

Patricia Folsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TREX decking extremely disappointing KHL General DIY Discussions 266 07-05-2013 11:26 AM
Trex decking LL1 General DIY Discussions 56 09-30-2011 09:55 PM
Trex Decking Discoloration ozarkee General DIY Discussions 24 03-23-2011 09:26 AM
Anyone with TREX decking come in! tigerbalm2424 General DIY Discussions 19 05-22-2010 10:32 AM
TREX Decking with non-removable Stains Owen Gailar Building & Construction 10 10-07-2008 06:53 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.