Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2012, 07:38 AM   #1

Share |

Trenching through granite

I found a couple of spots in a trench I dug for 3" conduit that are encumbered with granite gneiss and blue stone. In a couple of spots the stone presents an angled plane.

My neighbor recommended using a concrete saw to score a channel in the stone for removal with a jackhammer.

I was considering drilling holes with a rotary hammer to use Dexpan expanding mortar.

I was also considering drilling 1-1/2" holes and using the jackhammer to connect the dots.

I need to cut a 12" x ~3.5" channel in the stone. I have the tools and the materials for either job. Would you use any of these methods, or can you recommend another approach?

benjamincall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:44 AM   #2

What is the conduit for? Can't you just go over the rock and then encase with concrete.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:49 AM   #3
Civil Engineer

I had a similar problem with a 4 inch drain line I installed. The simplest approach is to use a rotary hammer with a diamond bit to drill small holes (say 1/2 inch to 1 inch) relatively close together, then use an impact hammer with a chisel bit to clean between the holes. Diamond drills go into granite very quickly, the chisel part takes a little longer. I wouldn't waste my time with that expanding material, by the time you put it in, wait for the setup and breaking, you could have been long done using standard hammer type tools.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
What is the conduit for? Can't you just go over the rock and then encase with concrete.
The conduit is for a service lateral. I would try to go over the rock, except that it would create a severe peak in the conduit that I couldn't address without adding more sweeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
I had a similar problem with a 4 inch drain line I installed. The simplest approach is to use a rotary hammer with a diamond bit to drill small holes (say 1/2 inch to 1 inch) relatively close together, then use an impact hammer with a chisel bit to clean between the holes. Diamond drills go into granite very quickly, the chisel part takes a little longer. I wouldn't waste my time with that expanding material, by the time you put it in, wait for the setup and breaking, you could have been long done using standard hammer type tools.
Wouldn't I want to use my 1-1/2" bit to drill the holes, then "connect" the holes using the jackhammer? Would you drill in at an angle to break out a wedge of stone?
benjamincall is offline   Reply With Quote