DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Building & Construction (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/)
-   -   Treehouse/deer stand type structure help needed (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/treehouse-deer-stand-type-structure-help-needed-5592/)

andrgo 12-28-2006 08:26 PM

Treehouse/deer stand type structure help needed
 
Hey guys,


I know this might sound odd, but I want to build a structure that's similar to a treehouse or a deer stand. It won't be for kids and it won't be for hunting, it will be a small one-room structure (maybe 5' wide, 8' long, and 6' tall) that I will use for a semi-residence on some property (2 acres) I own and I plan on staying every now-and-then.


I have a pretty generic idea in mind: an insulated boxy rectangular structure 8+ feet off-ground with a door and some windows and a roof. Since it's out in the middle of no-where (like, literally) electrical/plumbing type issues aren't a concern for me since I've already found alternative options (kerosine lanterns, chemical toilets, etc.)


Anyway, I was wondering if any of you could offer any advice in regards to the STRUCTURAL SUPPORT of the building. This is what I need help with the most.


I know I can do the walls/flooring/roofing/exterior/interior/etc. all without any problem. But I have no idea how to safetly design something that will be structurely safe while holding this big box 8'+ in the air.

What kind lumber, how much of each, and what dimsensions should I use?
How do I connect them to create a safe structure to hold up the "tree house" type thing itself?


The last thing I obviously want is to do something wrong with the structural support and have the thing collapse and fall to the ground.



Any help/advice/plans/diagrams would be strongly appreciated,
Thank you,
Andrew

RYANINMICHIGAN 12-29-2006 10:37 AM

Why 8 Feet Off The Ground?

andrgo 12-29-2006 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RYANINMICHIGAN (Post 28114)
Why 8 Feet Off The Ground?

Actually I was thinking maybe even 12' off the ground. The higher the better in terms of security I think. Rats, mice, spiders, chipmunks, bears all can eventually find their way into any ground structure. But if it's sitting 8'+ in the air, bears will leave it alone (since they go nuts for food), and it will be impossible for rodents to get into it if it's that high off of the ground because I plan on putting those squirrel-guard things on the posts (those deals that look like pie pans upside down.) Having it up in the air is going to make it a lot less prone to any kind of animal destructing/inhabiting it versus building one on the ground.

troubleseeker 12-30-2006 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrgo (Post 28079)
Hey guys,


I know this might sound odd, but I want to build a structure that's similar to a treehouse or a deer stand. It won't be for kids and it won't be for hunting, it will be a small one-room structure (maybe 5' wide, 8' long, and 6' tall) that I will use for a semi-residence on some property (2 acres) I own and I plan on staying every now-and-then.


I have a pretty generic idea in mind: an insulated boxy rectangular structure 8+ feet off-ground with a door and some windows and a roof. Since it's out in the middle of no-where (like, literally) electrical/plumbing type issues aren't a concern for me since I've already found alternative options (kerosine lanterns, chemical toilets, etc.)


Anyway, I was wondering if any of you could offer any advice in regards to the STRUCTURAL SUPPORT of the building. This is what I need help with the most.


I know I can do the walls/flooring/roofing/exterior/interior/etc. all without any problem. But I have no idea how to safetly design something that will be structurely safe while holding this big box 8'+ in the air.

What kind lumber, how much of each, and what dimsensions should I use?
How do I connect them to create a safe structure to hold up the "tree house" type thing itself?


The last thing I obviously want is to do something wrong with the structural support and have the thing collapse and fall to the ground.



Any help/advice/plans/diagrams would be strongly appreciated,
Thank you,
Andrew


Why would a midget build an structure 12' off the ground?:laughing: Six feet high?

MY opinion:
Six by six pt posts, I'd use six of them, will be more than strong enough for this, but you will need to get then at least six or seven feet in the ground to go this high, and it will still need some diagonal bracing (Bolted to the legs) to help cut down on the sway.You can then band them with 2x12,s set in a notch and through bolted, and either hang 2x8,s flush with the top of the band using joist hangers or set them above the band using metal ties. Deck with 3/4 plywood, be sure to space the sheets at least 1/8" for expansion, and squirt the edges with adhesive while applying it to the floor joists to seal this gap for insects. Proceed from the deck with normal walls. Use metal framing connectors everywhere as the small footprint is going to result in lots of movement. How do you plan on accessing this structure 12 feet in the air? Be advised, if you have never built anything in the air, it is about 6 times more work than you ever thought.

andrgo 01-02-2007 11:05 PM

Hey TS, thank you for the great advice! What is your take on how tall something like this should be, is 8 - 12 feet asking too much and should I do something more simplestic like 6 feet above ground? I know it's up to me and the taller I could go... well, the more interesting it would be to be there.

I contacted my electrical company over the weekend asking if they had any scrap telephone poles, they said yes. What is your opinion on using telephone poles? Obviously I'd have to shorten them down quite a bit before even using them since they're so giant.

harleysilo 01-03-2007 08:42 AM

This is perhaps the coolest project I've heard about. Sorry I can't offer any real advice regarding the structure of you home away from home.

Why not a true Tree house? Or support it via cables from large branches in the trees? Or what about just cuttin a large tree down 12-15' off the ground and building it on the tree trunk?:eek:

RYANINMICHIGAN 01-03-2007 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrgo (Post 28117)
Actually I was thinking maybe even 12' off the ground. The higher the better in terms of security I think. Rats, mice, spiders, chipmunks, bears all can eventually find their way into any ground structure. But if it's sitting 8'+ in the air, bears will leave it alone (since they go nuts for food), and it will be impossible for rodents to get into it if it's that high off of the ground because I plan on putting those squirrel-guard things on the posts (those deals that look like pie pans upside down.) Having it up in the air is going to make it a lot less prone to any kind of animal destructing/inhabiting it versus building one on the ground.

You might want to rethink that. I can build a cabin on or near the ground that will keep most stuff out. As far as bears Black bears are actually really good a climbing.

Teetorbilt 01-03-2007 06:26 PM

Actually, everything that he mentioned is really good at climbing.:laughing:

What is the purpose of this endevour? Prison cells are larger and have more headroom.

harleysilo 01-04-2007 10:25 AM

If you could find a prefab concrete enclousure, with a door opening, you could just haul it out there and set it on the ground, instal a steel door and you would be good to go.

Bondo 01-01-2008 02:00 PM

Quote:

Actually, everything that he mentioned is really good at climbing.
Ayuh,........... My thoughts,.... Exactly........

In Actuality,...... They're All Better at climbing trees than He is........

kiwi54 01-01-2008 05:53 PM

In the air is fine, looks cool and you can utilize underneath for weather cover or carport if it's high enough. I built pole homes in Australia up to 16', used approved poles or posts. In Kentucky, built a Victorian sunroom that's 18' off the ground on the long side of a home.
troubleseeker gave you good advise, I'd have the structure solidly anchored, ask the local Building guys what's required for the height and go for it.

Kingfisher 01-01-2008 11:36 PM

6x6 will be to heavy to lift in place in what sound like a remote area. Use 6 16' 4x4 spaced 6' apart and add a small 4' porch to make the transition from the ladder to the "cabin" easier. Put 4' in the ground is fine and place the bracing starting at 3' of the ground runing from one corner to the next this will leave room for your critter guards. 2x6 floor joist wil work fine and start looking inthe clearance section of your local box store for windows and a door. Good Luck and post some photos:wink:

Kingfisher 01-01-2008 11:38 PM

Little angle on the legs will help stop swaying too, kind of trapazoid shaped

pavola 01-02-2008 12:18 AM

Troubleseeker is right on. You could look for parts from companies who build/replace playground structures - metal connectors, cross braces, posts, solid beams, etc.

joed 12-08-2009 09:26 AM

I would rehink the used telephone poles. They are probably already half rotten. Start with new material. 4x4 are too small in my opinion. You need at least 6x6.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved