Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

transparent carbon fiber


hello everyone,

I'm thinking of building a big aquarium.

of which one side needs to be 5m height and 3M wide.

It should be transparent enough to let the light through but strong enough to resist huge amount of water.

I thought if there is something like transparent carbon fiber plates?
or materials to make them?
that could be a good solution.
or any other ideas ?

a glass or a plexiglass will be too expensive for this project .

thanks in advance .

tato

tato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

transparent carbon fiber


Quote:
Originally Posted by tato View Post
hello everyone,

I'm thinking of building a big aquarium.

of which one side needs to be 5m height and 3M wide.

It should be transparent enough to let the light through but strong enough to resist huge amount of water.

I thought if there is something like transparent carbon fiber plates?
or materials to make them?
that could be a good solution.
or any other ideas ?

a glass or a plexiglass will be too expensive for this project .

thanks in advance .

tato
I'd build it outside. You don't mention a third dimension in the size. Only height and width. What's the depth?
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

transparent carbon fiber


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
I'd build it outside. You don't mention a third dimension in the size. Only height and width. What's the depth?
Ron
sorry I made mistake .

5m wide 3m high is just one wall (green wall on the photo).
I wont to build it for shooting a short film were I need to have actors swimming in front of a green screen .

this green screen is the mane problem . I need wall of some strong material which I would paint green . than I would light it evenly from beck and it would transmit light .

here you can see sketch of idea.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2597945...ream/lightbox/


Tato

Last edited by tato; 04-25-2011 at 02:37 PM.
tato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?
 
nap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: sw mi
Posts: 5,407
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

transparent carbon fiber


You will need to contact Scotty, the engineer from the Enterprise but he used transparent aluminum to build a whale tank one time.

carbon fiber is not transparent, translucent, or even opaque.

and if you though glass or plexiglass was too expensive, carbon fiber would really be too expensive.



Quote:
I'd build it outside. You don't mention a third dimension in the size. Only height and width. What's the depth?
Ron
They're really really thin fish, like in so thin they are only 2 dimensional.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

transparent carbon fiber


Quote:
Originally Posted by tato View Post
sorry I made mistake .

5m wide 3m high is just one wall (green wall on the photo).
I wont to build it for shooting a short film were I need to have actors swimming in front of a green screen .

this green screen is the mane problem . I need wall of some strong material which I would paint green . than I would light it evenly from beck and it would transmit light .

here you can see sketch of idea.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2597945...ream/lightbox/


Tato
Some guy awhile ago wanted to the same thing. I think the universal opinion was that the idea was not feasible due to the budget limitations.
You remember don't you, "Somethingpunk"?
Check this out:
build a large water tank/aquarium?
Ron

Last edited by Ron6519; 04-25-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:45 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Near Philly
Posts: 2,050
Rewards Points: 1,020
Default

transparent carbon fiber


"You will need to contact Scotty, the engineer from the Enterprise but he used transparent aluminum to build a whale tank one time."
, first thing I thought of! I don't think HD/Lowes carries it though.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

transparent carbon fiber


here are other images .


3m height/4m width/5M long

so big and thick enough plexiglass or glass sheet would be very expensive.

is there any other material which would be not so expensive but would let a bit of light through ?
tato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Near Philly
Posts: 2,050
Rewards Points: 1,020
Default

transparent carbon fiber


So, this is roughly 10 feet high, 13' wide, and 16 feet long? How much water does this beast hold? I assume this is meant to be installed over the ground, ie, no structural foundation using beams, joists, etc...? I figured it was about 62,000 kgs or 124,000 lbs of water (15.5 thousand gallons or 58.8 thousand liters). You best call the National Aquarium to see how they do it.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:34 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

transparent carbon fiber


Quote:
Originally Posted by tato View Post
here are other images .


3m height/4m width/5M long

so big and thick enough plexiglass or glass sheet would be very expensive.

is there any other material which would be not so expensive but would let a bit of light through ?
You don't have the knowledge to build it and you can't afford to hire someone who does.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:07 PM   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

transparent carbon fiber


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
You don't have the knowledge to build it and you can't afford to hire someone who does.
Ron
No I don't .

and thats why I'm asking you .

I guess I will have to find other way to shot this . or build much smaller aquarium.

thank you for answers .

tato.

tato is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Running Fiber line in conduit? dataguy Electrical 3 11-07-2010 06:57 PM
if you were to pull fiber, what fiber would it be? MLMIB Electrical 15 10-06-2010 11:47 PM
min depth for fiber optic cable underground? MusicMan_234 Electrical 5 01-30-2009 01:32 AM
"Maintenance Free" Siding Materials (Vinyl, Steel, Fiber Cement) diggitydog Building & Construction 12 01-23-2009 05:24 PM
Carbon Monoxide Kills TRUSTEDTRADESMEN General DIY Discussions 1 06-23-2008 08:52 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.