Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #1

Share |

Top plate nailing protective plate for pipe

I need to put my top plate right in the middle where this protective metal plate is below the water pipe. What are my options? Can I just attach a small block of 2x4 to the side of the joist and then attach the top plate to the block? I am not sure on the proper way to do this.
Attached Thumbnails
Top plate nailing protective plate for pipe-image-836869982.jpg  

bryanp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Pull that Copper out, and pull PEX in its place, higher up where it is supposed to be. Of course that Electric is in the middle, which I would have never done, but whoever did it, must have thought someone would be driving in long spikes into those joists.

In reality, your wall you are building is not going to be load bearing, so even if you place it up there, you could secure it along the backside of where that Copper is, and leave the piping alone.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #3

Yeah can't move plumbing myself city wont let me pull a permit so that has to stay. What else can I do?

Last edited by bryanp22; 08-04-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanp22 View Post
Yeah can't move plumbing myself city wont let me pull a permit so that has to stay. What else can I do?
Uhm, yes you can. In this case, you can pull that offending pipe, and place the PEX where it should be. It is called an Emergency situation, and the city would not know, unless someone goes blabbing to them.

Figure a Sawz-all at every other joist, you can cut that sucker out, and pull the 3/4" PEX up away from where you are placing the wall.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 08-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #5

Why would you need a permit to just move a pipe?
Old 08-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Why would you need a permit to just move a pipe?
That is what I asked, when I made my last reply. I am guessing that the OP is afraid the Black copters are hovering over them all the time, when they go to and from the Big box store.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #7

My city has been known to notice new construction when inspecting other items and assessing fines.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanp22 View Post
My city has been known to notice new construction when inspecting other items and assessing fines.
There is no way of them seeing any piping being changed, again, unless someone runs their mouth. As for the basement remodel, again, if you follow codes, and do it properly, there is nothing they can do with you regarding moving that piping which was installed incorrectly in the beginning.

BTW, if you go through your town, you will find quite a few basements finished, no permits pulled, and everything is up to code, with the exception of those who scab the jobs together, just like your Copper pipe which clearly states Hack job.