Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2012, 10:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tool box help

Can anyone out there help me with advice on a toolbox. I want to surprise my husband who owns his own business and is a general contractor. He does everything and his box truck acts as his tool box. However he has a 24in 5 drawer box which sits ontop of a rolling 5 drawer chest. It is a name I don't recognize and is 30 years ago. It has served him well but he is needing another one. On top of construction he repairs the cars for my entire family and has so many expensive tools.
There are so many different types of tool boxes...anyone have advice as to capacity, sturdiness, quality, brand...
Thanks, Dori

DRhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,314

Tool box help

Sears has some nice one's but beware they have differant grades of boxes. Do not cheap out.

Kennedy makes great boxes.

I have two of the Kolbalt boxes from Lowes that also work ok.

Not sure how you feel about it but, if it was me I would rather get a gift certificate and pick out the one I wanted. Reason being boxes come with several differant numbers of drawers and differant sizes of drawers. It would depend on what he plans on storing as to which one will work.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,384

Tool box help

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Sears has some nice one's but beware they have differant grades of boxes. Do not cheap out.

Kennedy makes great boxes.

I have two of the Kolbalt boxes from Lowes that also work ok.

Not sure how you feel about it but, if it was me I would rather get a gift certificate and pick out the one I wanted. Reason being boxes come with several differant numbers of drawers and differant sizes of drawers. It would depend on what he plans on storing as to which one will work.
Good advice.....^^^^^ (a man's perspective)

You might consider taking a trip to Costco....they had a Stainless Steel box (Top and bottom) that is REAL nice....

If you really want to get him a box so that he has it on 'that' day....Craftsman is a safe choice....key point "Ball Bearing Slides"

If you have a lot of money you want to part with...Snap On would be the top of the line.....

BTW....if you ever get divorced, let us know....guys would be lining up for a wife like you.....especially if you're a good cook as well....cook, buy tools....doesn't get much better than that....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,028

Tool box help

For the style of box that described, which sounds like a mechanics upper or middle tiered box, you might try your local "mom and pop", or independent, auto parts store. I have enough boxes of various styles that I haven't bought any new ones, other than maybe a couple of special application ones, for a long time, but 20 years or so ago, all of the auto parts stores handled a complete line of tools and boxes, including roll-arounds, and while they probably don't carry the variety today that they did then, I assume that they can order ones similar to what you described; Kennedy, which Joe mentioned, is a good example of this. Snap-On, Mac, and Matco anyway, and probably others, sold out of trucks, to dealerships, independent garages, etc., so if his existing boxes are one of these, you might stop at one of your local dealerships, and ask them if that company is still even in business, and if they might know their schedule. Check his box underneath this one too, to see if there is a lip around the upper edge, inside of which this box sets; it will stick up probably only 1/8" to 1/4", but keeps the upper box from sliding off of the lower one, so you will want to make sure to get an exact measurement of the one that you are looking for.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Tool box help

Thank you guys so much. I totally agree with the gift certificate idea so he can get what he wants...lol this is similar to a guy trying to pick out panties for a girl!!! Not a good idea! So many styles, colors and sizes!
However, I really wanted to have it there BAM in his face and yes SNAP On is great but too out of my price range. I want it to last a long time so he won't ever have to get another. I know Craftsman will stand behind their product too. Unsure if the rest do. Is there any such thing as too big?...When talking dealing tool chests/boxes.) And I want stainless right?
Thanks again for all the help.
Dori
DRhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,314

Tool box help

If it's just being used inside a garage or trailer there is no real reason it have to be stainless other then it looks cool.
All my painted ones still look new after many years and do not show finger prints like a stainless steel one can.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote