Too Much Slope On Slab Foundation Site - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2011, 05:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 252

too much slope on slab foundation site

I am still in the early planning stage, haven't talked to grader yet. But am planning on building a 32' x 36' shop on a slab foundation. The place where I want to locate has a bit of fall from high point to low point (haven't pulled a string and level out but is probaly 3'). Then of course the build-up around outside of low corners where it continues to slope down... Is there a limit on how much is too much fall or is a just a matter of moving alot more dirt? thanks

Advertisement

ugabulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:04 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

"Is there a limit on how much is too much fall or is a just a matter of moving alot more dirt?" I don't understand the question. Dig a flat spot, so you pour on undisturbed dirt, not compacted dirt (fill). Compact gravel under the slab, of course. 3 feet? Hell, I just dug down 25' and had to move over 6,000 yards of dirt for my house area. You're flat!

Advertisement

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
"Is there a limit on how much is too much fall or is a just a matter of moving alot more dirt?" I don't understand the question. Dig a flat spot, so you pour on undisturbed dirt, not compacted dirt (fill). Compact gravel under the slab, of course. 3 feet? Hell, I just dug down 25' and had to move over 6,000 yards of dirt for my house area. You're flat!
The high side will be 3' below grade (underground).
ugabulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:53 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

If you are trying to use a monolithic slab, you'll needed to escavate a level area and provide for drainage. When you put put a sting and level on it you will probably find it's more unlevel than you think...
Old 08-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugabulldog View Post
The high side will be 3' below grade (underground).
You can handle it a few ways.
1. You will build a block wall above grade. then waterprroof the block on the outside.
Or
2. Dig back a few feet and build a retaining wall into the hill, keeping the soil away from the structure.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote