Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2009, 07:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tips/Tricks for putting up XPS Foam?

Hey Everyone,

I started gluing up my XPS foam to my concrete walls today and I am having have trouble. I guess my walls (poured concrete) aren't as straight as I thought. Does anyone have any tips and tricks for putting this stuff up (one man job)? I did a couple panels but I can't seem to get the foam right against the wall in all places. I can still push against the foam in certain places where it isn't in direct contact with the wall. I am using around 1/3 - 1/2 of a small tube of PL300 per sheet.

Thanks

ChaoticBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticBliss View Post
Hey Everyone,

I started gluing up my XPS foam to my concrete walls today and I am having have trouble. I guess my walls (poured concrete) aren't as straight as I thought. Does anyone have any tips and tricks for putting this stuff up (one man job)? I did a couple panels but I can't seem to get the foam right against the wall in all places. I can still push against the foam in certain places where it isn't in direct contact with the wall. I am using around 1/3 - 1/2 of a small tube of PL300 per sheet.

Thanks
Two issues. One is, are you using the correct adhesive and the other is it doesn't matter if the board is flat againt the wall. The insulation value wouldn't be diminished if there were spaces.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:04 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 264

I've been using about 1/2 a large size tube without mechanical fasteners ( overkill).

If there's buggers from the concrete forms ect I'll take a 2# hammer and a mason chisel ( about 3" wide) to smooth it out.

I started with pl300 but went to a polyurathane type (good for foam and about everything else) that sets up a bit quicker.

Only drawback is it comes out terribly slow in basement temps.

I'll take a short 2 X and smack the foam with a hammer to conform it better after its up.
Then just keep working it around till it sets up.

You could tapcon it but not me.
High Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

i've not seen an interior foam put up but i know the exterior systems (Dryvit [EIFS]) all get installed rough and then they rasp them to a smooth finish. i think if you can get a clean fit to your wall it will be easy enough to smooth it out.
cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:57 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

would the installation work better is using spray foam as the adhesive? There would be some set up time that would allow you to move and adjust the panel.
ctkeebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:13 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

I think it is obvious that the foam should be in direct contact with the concrete, and to achieve this may require that you knock off any little bumps of concrete sticking out, with a hammer and chisel, that would prevent that from happening.

Put it this way: there's really no point in just putting it up against the wall if there's an airspace behind it...if it were just a case of putting it vertically against a wall, then why not a full inch behind it, or two inches...? What you need is a thermal break - in other words a total absence of heat transfer from the concrete to the inside and this you can only get by bonding the two surfaces to each other.

Hence the 'glue' as opposed to a mechanical fastener...
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:10 PM   #7

The mechanical fasteners are only used to hold the foam tight while the glue drys.

IMHO they are a waste of time .

You would spend less time just pressing against panel in position till it sets up.

I use a short 2x4 and tap it with a hammer to make the foam comply better with the wall and just keep working around the panel. It will take a while before it stops trying to pull away from the wall .
Lots of glue insures a better chance of a complete seal.

In my experience spray foam (great stuff) doesn't stick nearly as well PL300 or polyurethane and even the window and door type still expands and may push your xps away from the wall.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Gear View Post
The mechanical fasteners are only used to hold the foam tight while the glue drys.

IMHO they are a waste of time .

You would spend less time just pressing against panel in position till it sets up.

I use a short 2x4 and tap it with a hammer to make the foam comply better with the wall and just keep working around the panel. It will take a while before it stops trying to pull away from the wall .
Lots of glue insures a better chance of a complete seal.

In my experience spray foam (great stuff) doesn't stick nearly as well PL300 or polyurethane and even the window and door type still expands and may push your xps away from the wall.

Good point about the spray foam pushing the board away from the wall. How much of the pl300 do you use per board? Just try and hot the sides, edhes and middle? Dabs or more of a line?

Also do you glue the joints or just let the friction hold the panels together and the glue holding the boards to the wall?

Thanks
Old 12-07-2009, 03:35 PM   #9

It's probable considered overkill by many but I'll use a good half or more of the Large style tubes (lines).

I feel the less air movement the better and there's bound to be some.

The tongue and groove get a liberal dose also, then no need to tape in my opinion. ( if any squishes out I'll take a putty knife ect to smooth it.)

I'm just a DIY'er so my advice is worth exactly what you paid for it. ( ha ha)
Old 12-07-2009, 04:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Gear View Post
It's probable considered overkill by many but I'll use a good half or more of the Large style tubes (lines).

I feel the less air movement the better and there's bound to be some.

The tongue and groove get a liberal dose also, then no need to tape in my opinion. ( if any squishes out I'll take a putty knife ect to smooth it.)

I'm just a DIY'er so my advice is worth exactly what you paid for it. ( ha ha)

Well I haven't done it yet so the information is a valuable resource and appreciated.