DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Tips For Pouring Concrete? Root issues? Thoughts?

7K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Bondo 
#1 ·
Hi Guys ok, here is the deal.

Location: I live in southern California, so the weather is never really an issue.

Goal: I have a section of about 7 feet between my driveway that is dirt and I'd like to pour concrete there to "extend" the driveway a bit.

Problem: The Problem is that my neighbor and I share a dividing fence in which there is a somewhat large plant growing so that it will create a "privacy wall" or sorts. (photo attached). The plant is technically his as it is growing around a fence around his entire property. Also, the core root enters the ground on his property line. Much of it does wrap over onto "my" property line, but I don't really have any desire to constantly cut it back. On his side of the fence (as you can see in the photo) he has already poured concrete around everything, so many of the roots shoot out toward my property. These aren't "tree roots" and the concrete on his property doesn't seem to be cracked ...

Solution?

1) If I just cut some of the roots as I dig down to pour concrete, will I need to do anything else? (ie, will it crack my concrete down the road?)

2) How thick should the concrete be, considering it may have a vehicle on top of it? Reinforce with Rebar? Any method of preperation that might help preventative issues?

3) Or, will pouring concrete on my half, causing the entire plant/bush to be complete surrounded by concrete cause problems if not removed?

4) Is there a "best method" for cutting out some of the roots while I'm digging out the area for the concrete? Or is that not needed.

Any help would be much appreciated. Tips very much welcome!

In a perfect world, I could pour my concrete with it not cracking due to the plant, and also, not having to really damage my neighbors plant.

ALTERNATIVE:

As an alternative, I have considered pouring the concrete up and leaving a foot of dirt before the wall/plant, sort of like a planters box ... will this resolve my issue?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Goal: I have a section of about 7 feet between my driveway that is dirt and I'd like to pour concrete there to "extend" the driveway a bit.
Ayuh,... Where exactly will be Top of Grade, outside edge, After the pour,..??

How close to the fence do you wanta get,..??
How high up, or under those blocks stood up in the dirt,..??
Will you build / pour higher than the dirt, or dig down, to finish at the same level as the dirt is now,..??

6"s of concrete with heavy mesh steel should support most cars,...
Maybe a couple runs of rebar....

#3 ·
In the photo, you can see there are a few concrete blocks left over. The roots had more or less knocked them over, so I was able to just pull that portion of the wall down. It was a small, 3 brick high wall, which I'm not sure if I am going to replace or not.

1) Top Grade: Where the bricks are currently sitting will be the top of the concrete. I was going to dig the area out, as far down as needed and pour the concrete up to match the height of the driveway.

I'm not sure how far up, I was considering going all the way, and laying the Concrete blocks "on top" on the new concrete. So it would be all the way up to the fence. However, If the stress on the concrete would be too great, I'd also consider leaving like 1 foot of dirt, and just remove the block portion entirely ... not really sure.

3) My driveway is to short to park in by pulling in straight (already got a $65 ticket for having a part of the bumper overhanging in the sidewalk), so I'd like to park sideways, and this part of the concrete will help. I'm not sure if that makes a difference on how thick the concrete should be, but I guess 6" gives me a rough estimate (I was originally thinking more like 4 ...)

4) How should the rebar be placed? (How far apart would you suggest, etc...)

#4 · (Edited)
1) Top Grade: Where the bricks are currently sitting will be the top of the concrete. I was going to dig the area out, as far down as needed and pour the concrete up to match the height of the driveway
I see Blocks, No bricks...
The original bottom row of blocks is buried about 1/2 their height....
Are they stable where/ as they sit,..??
If you want the top of grade to be at the top of those blocks, 'n they're stable, use 'em as your form, 'n pour concrete to their tops..
I'm guessing I'm lookin' at a 4" reveal of the standing blocks, 1/2 exposed...
4" with steel will probably last a good long time for ya...
As far as steel lay-out, 'n whatnots, you need a picture or drawing of the area,...
I'm only seeing a tiny corner, at best...
You've only defined 1 dimension, the 7'...
Generally, the mesh fills the formed area, 'n rebar runs the long way...

#5 ·
Thanks for replying and for the help. I should probably have mentioned (if it wasn't clear from my question in the first place) I'm a new home owner, and total DIY noob. I've done a a lot in the past 4 months of having the home, but I have a lot to learn. So, I really do appreciate you taking the time to comment. I personnaly hope to figure out the plan, do some of the footwork (digout, box frame ect...) and in this case ... probably pay someone to pour and level the concrete

In answer to your latest post ...

1) Mis-type, no Bricks, just blocks.
2) They aren't really buried, optical illusion of the photo, perhaps by an inch or so.
3) The bottom row is stable, as it is set in concrete. Which was done by a previous owner and had no real form, so the concrete doesn't have any clean lines.
4) Also the top of the concrete is not at the top of the Block, but at the bottom, I meant it more of where the dirt visibly connects with the blocks, that would be the top of the concrete.

Basically, I have a driveway, and a dirt/grass patch that is currently (more or less) flush level with each other. I was going to dig out the dirt the 4-5 inches, tamp it down, and pour. It's basically a 7'x14' run, so I was going to score it as 2- 7x7 squares.

#6 ·
Basically, I have a driveway, and a dirt/grass patch that is currently (more or less) flush level with each other. I was going to dig out the dirt the 4-5 inches, tamp it down, and pour. It's basically a 7'x14' run, so I was going to score it as 2- 7x7 squares.
Ayuh,.... Sounds like a Plan....

For what yer doin', a sheet of mesh will probably be sufficient...
Just make sure it's pitched so it don't puddle water when done...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.