Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

tips on how to "raise" a front door threshold

whomever installed the front exterior door to my house didnt raise the bottom threshold high enough.. depending on the heat/cold/humidity (regular expansion contraction of framing) sometimes the weather stripping on the bottom of the door will scrape my wood floors as i open it inward. That's how close the bottom of the door is to the floor. (doesnt happen in winter time, but does as we get warmer.. i am assuming its just a wood framing issue).

So my question is.. are there any tricks to "raising" the door before i decide to cut out the door jamb and add one inch to the threshold and then re-install the door?

when i re-did the bay window near the door years ago i discovered significant old termite damage..i wouldnt be shocked if the door has "sunk" a little from termites having a buffet inside my front stoop.. So, long-term solution is take out door and re-install, but wanted to know if there was any shorter term way to gain me half an inch.

(i had already tried putting a spacer in the bottom hinge to "tilt" the door upward as it opens but that didnt work for long)

windowguy is offline   Reply With Quote