Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2010, 01:11 PM   #1

Share |

Tinted concrete sealer to change color of stucco exterior?

I have a pink stucco house.

OK, its a beige-y pink, thankfully, but I still would like to correct this poor choice made by the previous owners of my home.

The exterior itself is in good shape. No cracking to speak of and I've seen no evidence of leaks.

To this point, I've understood that my options were to either paint or restucco. Various people will say that you should never, ever paint stucco, even with paints designed for this application. Restucco (or redash) seems to be a prohibitively expensive option for a purely cosmetic effect, though I have not priced it out.

Today, I learned of another option: tinted concrete sealer. This seems to be ideal for my case, since color is my only objection.

Has anybody used concrete sealer on stucco (or other masonry, for that matter)? Any thoughts on using it in this application or other suggestions on correcting this horrible mistake?

TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #2

we use ALL types of conc sealers & color it ourselves according to what purpose we need,,, it ain't made for stucco,,, be interesting to see what responses you get !

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:57 PM   #3

Yes, I realize this isn't its primary application, but I have found a few companies that sell a concrete sealer that they claim will work with stucco.

Green Building Supply, for example. It may be just as good/bad for stucco as any other tinted sealer, though.

I'm thinking the texture may cause some uneven coverage. I'm not sure what other problems might occur.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:10 PM   #4

having been a dec conc artisan for more'n several yrs, we soon realiz'd just about everyone will claim ' whatevers ',,, we can't take chances,,, uneven coverage ( drips & runs ) will be due to the thin viscosity,,, vertical staining's best accomplish'd by pro's using damp sponges - slow & slower but that's the work !

consider the cost of doing the work over !
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote