Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2011, 08:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Timber Tech XLM vs Earthwood Evolutions

TT is going to replace my XLM-Desert Bronze deck installed in June 2009 under warranty due to UV degradation. I have the choice of selecting any TT material as a replacement. The replaceemnt for XLM-Desert Bronze is XLM-Harvest Bronze. But I'm also considering the new PVC wrapped composite called Earthwood Evolutions. The choice is difficult becase both of these selections are only months old. I asked TT for independent test data on the Evolutions but those tests are not yet cpmpleted. The XLM is still more expensive than the Evolutions, but the Evolutions is a heavier and likely stiffer board than the XLM. I'll install both with hidden fasteners. My gut says thereis less risk with the XLM-Harvest Bronze because all they had to do was add more UV chemical to the mix. To my knowledge, a PVC wrapped composite has never existed before, so I would expect it could have development problems. I keep the balance of my 25 year warranty, but I don't want to have it replaced a third time.

Any thoughts greaty apprecaited.

Pintle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #2

We are in the same situation. We need to replace Timbertech's "mountain cedar" due to uv damage/discoloration. What did you decide? Did you stick with xlm or did you change to the earthwoods line? How is your choice holding up so far? The earthwoods colors are good, but I think they still look a little, "plastic-y". The xlm has new colors, but are they proving to be uv stable at this point. Any input appreciated.

colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #3

The contractor TT recommended suggested we go with the Evolutions. And we are glad we did. It's been only 5-1/2 months since the installation which is a shorter time than it took to notice the UV problem before with the XLM. But we are very pleased so far, especially in that the Evolutions is a much denser board and does not sag or squeak when walked on. Also, creaking noise due to thermal expansion is practially gone, but this may have been a problem with the original installer forcing it to tight against the vinyl house siding. I've attached a photo of the new Evolutions decking from a few days ago. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Timber Tech XLM vs Earthwood Evolutions-img_20110730_180725-1-.jpg  
Old 10-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #4

Looks great! How is it doing a year and a half later are you still happy with it?
Carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #5

Very pleased with it. It has continued to perform as when first installed. No UV degradation, very quiet when walked on and due to thermal expansion, and firm underfoot. Definitely made the right decision on switching from XLM. Only issue is small amount of pealing on the routed edges of the boards that intersect the trim piece in the middle. I've been meaning to contact TT to see if they have a color matched paint on repair kit. But you can't see it in the attached photo I just took.
Attached Thumbnails
Timber Tech XLM vs Earthwood Evolutions-img_20121021_171216.jpg  
Old 10-23-2012, 08:26 AM   #6

Very cool, thanks Pintle. You have no idea how hard it is to find customer reviews on this product so I really appreciate it.

I feel like I'm going in circles between Azek, TT XLM, TT EE, and real wood like Ipe and Cumaru. So you have no regrets at all? It does look really good and doesn't seem to have faded at all yet correct?

One more question, do you have dogs? I'm concerned that my dogs will scratch up the surface and it appears there is no repair for that with EE.

thanks!
Old 10-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #7

Carp, we have no regrets. I did not look at all the materials you are considering. It has not faded, and shows no signs of doing so even though it faces directly southwest and gets full sun. We do not have dogs or cats, so can't comment on that aspect.

Good luck!
Old 10-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #8

Cool, thanks again.

Tags
composite deck, deck, earthwood evolutions, timber tech, xlm