Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2008, 09:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Timber tech floorizon

Hi all
i am installing a new 850 sf deck. Was considering composite unttil io read the horror stories w/ mold. My contractor friend says that the TT floorizon T and g is the way to go. I will just have to clean it. My deck only gets sun until 2:00 pm in the summer. I do not want mold! I do not want to clean it twice a year. My question is have they made this product better in 2008 that mold will not be a huge issue?
I also saw The tigerwood hardwood online. I really like the look of it.. anyone have any experience with this product.

brodyjaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:03 AM   #2
Custom Deck Builder

Rewards Points: 75

Timber tech floorizon

Look at an all plastic deck board to prevent mold -
TimberTech XLM
CorrectDeck CX
Azek (was Procell)

Composite boards are named so because they are a composite of wood and plastic - the wood is what molds.

Mac

BuiltByMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:22 AM   #3

Timber tech floorizon

Thanks mac
I was looking at the ease of install with the timber tech tongue and groove and i know that it is only available in the composite. Is it a guarantee that it will mold or is it potluck. Is the mold easily removed. Will it permanently stain?
Old 02-25-2008, 11:25 AM   #4

Timber tech floorizon

i did not wish to go all plastic. but will check into it. My only drawback with composite seems to be the the mold. Will my deck be unsitely in a few years no matter what i do? There must be people extremely happy with their decks if they are still selling the product
Old 02-25-2008, 12:52 PM   #5
Do it right.

Timber tech floorizon

My boss uses procell alot and loves it, it's lightweight, looks great, and if you use the self tapping screws designed for it you get zero mushrooming.
SubSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:34 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Timber tech floorizon

Correct Deck CX has mold inhibitors. And is a GREAT product. TT (except their BRAND new line (XLM) will mold)

And Correct Deck is not a 100% plastic. But it has all the benefits. The glossy look it has does go away. But it fades less than 5%

Azek is fine if you want boring colors.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 10:38 PM   #7

Timber tech floorizon

Has anyone used product called "Dream Deck" by Thermal Industries. Its a maintenance free vinyl decking and manufacture provides lifetime warranty.
Here is the link - http://www.thermalindustries.com/too...s-2decking.cfm

Thanks
anexela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 11:27 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

Timber tech floorizon

Question for deck surfaces??? Is plastic deck in heat of summer on 'bare' feet an issue?? Would it be as hot as I imagine it may be?? Like a hot tin roof?? Where 'some' form of wood,composite or real ,,,WOULD be tolerable!!???
justdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:53 PM   #9

Timber tech floorizon

Timbertech Floorizon product and matching trim pieces will cup, warp, buckle. The trim pieces will expand up to 4" in a 12' section. This product did not last long enough to even have a mold issue. A $12K mistake.
jrj423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:15 AM   #10

Thumbs down

Timber tech floorizon

I have about 600 sq. ft of Timber Tech T &G installed in 2005. It is a mess! It looks great for about 6 weeks after cleaning ( I have used every chemical known to man including the recommeded Corti-Clean) and the mold still comes back....this means you have to pressure wash your deck about every six weeks to keep it nice looking...not a maintenance free product. The deck is in a sunny dry location. I would not recommend it.
rleshleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:06 AM   #11

Timber tech floorizon

I installed a composite Timber Tech deck 4 years ago. It gets covered in black mold spots. After I power wash it, the black mold is back within 30 days. I have used every chemical they recommend, its no better. This deck has to be power washed w/chemicals at least once a year, preferably twice a year. It is anything but maintenance free!
What is don't understand is - the areas in direct sunlight are the ones that mold the worst.
Timbertech has rejected my warranty claim. they are worthless in my opinion.
MoldyDeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:03 PM   #12

Timber tech floorizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoldyDeck View Post
I installed a composite Timber Tech deck 4 years ago. It gets covered in black mold spots. After I power wash it, the black mold is back within 30 days. I have used every chemical they recommend, its no better. This deck has to be power washed w/chemicals at least once a year, preferably twice a year. It is anything but maintenance free!
What is don't understand is - the areas in direct sunlight are the ones that mold the worst.
Timbertech has rejected my warranty claim. they are worthless in my opinion.
Just curious, what state are you in? I haven't heard of any mold problems in the NE.

mpnret is offline   Reply With Quote