Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 08:54 PM   #16
"You can do anything"-Mom
 
brockmiera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 724
Share |
Default

Tiling Shower Walls Help


Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Yeah that woulda been a good way to go. Lets say i already have 1/2" xps on the wall. What could I do now?

brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #17
Tileguy
 
JazMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Troy, Michigan
Posts: 3,950
Default

Tiling Shower Walls Help


I would spend 10 minutes and remove the xps and continue with Kerdi Board. Or, install furring either 1x3 -4 or 2x4's flat and then go with wallboard and Kerdi membrane or concrete backer and then Kerdi fabric or other waterproofing method.

I didn't read your intentions, so what method of tile installation are you planning?

Jaz
__________________
Tile 4 You LLC Troy, MI

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #18
"You can do anything"-Mom
 
brockmiera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 724
Default

Tiling Shower Walls Help


Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
I would spend 10 minutes and remove the xps and continue with Kerdi Board. Or, install furring either 1x3 -4 or 2x4's flat and then go with wallboard and Kerdi membrane or concrete backer and then Kerdi fabric or other waterproofing method.

I didn't read your intentions, so what method of tile installation are you planning?

Jaz
Kerdi membrane over the xps is what i was planning. I can kerdi over the wall. Where can I get kerdi board?
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:51 PM   #19
Tileguy
 
JazMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Troy, Michigan
Posts: 3,950
Default

Tiling Shower Walls Help


I have no idea if unmodified, (or even modified) will bond well and if xps is a suitable substrate, never had to do that.

I found 8-10 dealers that claim to be Schluter retailers. But I doubt any carry the board. They'd have to order it from the distributor. Best to call Schluter to see if they know which distributor stocks Kerdi Board.

United States of America
Schluter-Systems L.P.
194, Pleasant Ridge Road
Plattsburgh, NY 12901-5841

Phone: 1-800-472-4588

Tell them hey for me.

Jaz
__________________
Tile 4 You LLC Troy, MI

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #20
"You can do anything"-Mom
 
brockmiera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 724
Default

Tiling Shower Walls Help


Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
I have no idea if unmodified, (or even modified) will bond well and if xps is a suitable substrate, never had to do that.

I found 8-10 dealers that claim to be Schluter retailers. But I doubt any carry the board. They'd have to order it from the distributor. Best to call Schluter to see if they know which distributor stocks Kerdi Board.

United States of America
Schluter-Systems L.P.
194, Pleasant Ridge Road
Plattsburgh, NY 12901-5841

Phone: 1-800-472-4588

Tell them hey for me.

Jaz
Can do. Thanks Jazman
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #21
Newbie Bill
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,054
Default

Tiling Shower Walls Help


So he could do the Kerdi board right over the concrete wall?
__________________
Bill

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #22
"You can do anything"-Mom
 
brockmiera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 724
Default

Tiling Shower Walls Help


Quote:
Originally Posted by drtbk4ever View Post
So he could do the Kerdi board right over the concrete wall?
Yeah thats what it looks like. Have you priced Kerdi board? I'm sure it is the best stuff out there but dang....Back to the drawing board.

I think I will still take down the XPS and just use furring strips with hardibacker then use the kerdi membrane that comes with the whole shower kit. The kerdi liner will serve as a water barrier from not only the inside but the outside as well.
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #23
Tileguy
 
JazMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Troy, Michigan
Posts: 3,950
Default

Tiling Shower Walls Help


Quote:
Have you priced Kerdi board? I'm sure it is the best stuff out there but dang..
How much did you expect it to cost? It allows you to eliminate the furring strips, the concrete backer and the Kerdi Membrane. Not to mention the other materials that go with them and the labor. Yes, it's not cheap, but shouldn't expect it to be. It also depends on what you have to pay for it of course. You've gonna pay a little more than me. I'd say anything close to $100 a sheet retail is a good deal.

Jaz
__________________
Tile 4 You LLC Troy, MI

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #24
"You can do anything"-Mom
 
brockmiera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 724
Default

Tiling Shower Walls Help


Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
How much did you expect it to cost? It allows you to eliminate the furring strips, the concrete backer and the Kerdi Membrane. Not to mention the other materials that go with them and the labor. Yes, it's not cheap, but shouldn't expect it to be. It also depends on what you have to pay for it of course. You've gonna pay a little more than me. I'd say anything close to $100 a sheet retail is a good deal.

Jaz
So that would be about 200 for the wall. No extra for the thinset because I will need it anyway.

we are looking at about 20 buck for the furring strips, 8 for the tap cons, and 16 for the backer board.

Labor is free

The kerdi membrane is included in the $400 kit I am getting with the shower pan and drain.

I respect what your opinion but it also needs to make sense to my budget. I'll call this capco tile place that Schluter said was my closes dealer and price it out and go from there. I'd like to use it though. It was going to be my first choice and may end up being the last choice.
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #25
Tileguy
 
JazMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Troy, Michigan
Posts: 3,950
Default

Tiling Shower Walls Help


It's probably too expensive for your case since you've already committed to going another way and have those materials.

The Kerdi Board sheets I referred to are 4x8. On the kit you bought, you coulda bought just the tray and the fabric for less $. You did it that way for convenience. So go with the extra free labor route, it'll work just fine.

Jaz
__________________
Tile 4 You LLC Troy, MI

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #26
"You can do anything"-Mom
 
brockmiera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 724
Default

Tiling Shower Walls Help


Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
It's probably too expensive for your case since you've already committed to going another way and have those materials.

The Kerdi Board sheets I referred to are 4x8. On the kit you bought, you coulda bought just the tray and the fabric for less $. You did it that way for convenience. So go with the extra free labor route, it'll work just fine.

Jaz
Well I haven't bought any of the furring strips, tap cons, kerdi kit, or anything. I just spend way too much time pricing things online and at the home improvement stores. I'm game to do whatever is going to be a good way to do it. Obviously cost is a concern but if its only a hundred bucks one way or the other then lets go with the easiest and most complete.
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #27
"You can do anything"-Mom
 
brockmiera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 724
Default

Tiling Shower Walls Help


Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
It's probably too expensive for your case since you've already committed to going another way and have those materials.

The Kerdi Board sheets I referred to are 4x8. On the kit you bought, you coulda bought just the tray and the fabric for less $. You did it that way for convenience. So go with the extra free labor route, it'll work just fine.

Jaz
So if I buy just the tray and liner separate, what kind of drain do I go with?

If I decide to use just the drain and liner will they work with a mortar bed?
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #28
Tileguy
 
JazMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Troy, Michigan
Posts: 3,950
Default

Tiling Shower Walls Help


Quote:
Originally Posted by brock
So if I buy just the tray and liner separate, what kind of drain do I go with?
Sorry, yes you want and need the Kerdi Drain too.

Quote:
If I decide to use just the drain and liner will they work with a mortar bed?
Yes, that's the way most of the showers are built by the pros. The tray makes it easier if the size works out for you. The tray is a good idea for DIY. What size is your shower floor again?

Jaz
__________________
Tile 4 You LLC Troy, MI

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #29
"You can do anything"-Mom
 
brockmiera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 724
Default

Tiling Shower Walls Help


Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Sorry, yes you want and need the Kerdi Drain too.



Yes, that's the way most of the showers are built by the pros. The tray makes it easier if the size works out for you. The tray is a good idea for DIY. What size is your shower floor again?

Jaz
I'm planning on it being 32"x60" because of the premade Kerdi shower pan. I am going to frame a 12" bench to make the over all shower 32"x72"
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:08 PM   #30
Tileguy
 
JazMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Troy, Michigan
Posts: 3,950
Default

Tiling Shower Walls Help


Quote:
I'm planning on it being 32"x60" because of the premade Kerdi shower pan. I am going to frame a 12" bench to make the over all shower 32"x72"
So the shower floor is 32"x60" and the drain is centered right?

Jaz

__________________
Tile 4 You LLC Troy, MI

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacement tiling in bathroom on damaged walls JeanB Tiling, ceramics, marble 0 04-20-2012 09:52 PM
Installing 2 shower heads on separate walls? mallory_ratliff Plumbing 2 07-12-2011 04:56 PM
Ideas for shower stall walls moneymgmt Building & Construction 15 09-01-2010 01:48 PM
building shower walls with concrete canyongirl Building & Construction 13 03-14-2010 12:44 PM
Tiling over plastic shower base newproject Building & Construction 5 02-21-2009 07:40 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.