Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2008, 06:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Tiling kitchen backsplash

Hello! We are using 12x12 granite tiles with 1/16th spacers for our kitchen backsplash and I just have a few questions. If walking into the the kitchen, the back wall is 124 inches long, the wall to left of this one is 56 inches and the one to the right of this is 36 inches (to the end of where the old backsplash was but 25.5 to the end of the counter). My questions are:

1)Should we start on the back wall from the far left, using a full tile and then use a partial tile on the far end of the wall (which will end up being fairly tiny) or, should we start at the centre point of the back wall, somewhere around the 62 inch mark and end up with two tiny tiles on either end?

2)On the two side walls, should the tile be a full tile minus the tiny amount on the back wall so as to give the impression of a wrapped around full tile or, should we just start off again with a full tile?

3)My stove is placed at the end of the counter and has drywall right next to it. The previous backsplash was carried right around from the back wall and went past the stove by about 12 inches. If we do the same, it will at least hide the damaged drywall (caused by removing the old backsplash). If we don't, we could tile to the end of the counter but will have to fix up the wall. Not sure which will look better.

deeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:03 AM   #2

It is usually better to start in the middle and work out. When I did mine I set the tile up dry and adjusted it until it looked RIGHT then installed it. You always want to avoid less than 1/2 sixe pieces if you can.

BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:30 AM   #3
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

When I do my kitchens I usually start from the center of the window, the sink most of the times is centered on that. work out from the center with a full or half tile and see how it works out. I fell it is more pleasing to see the same reveal on either side of the window trim and side cabinets' as for the stove ,I always start from the center of the stove .All my back splashes have some type of boarder or mural over the stove so we work out from both ends that way. but being your stove is located on the end , I would work from the center of the wall and see how that works out this way the tile will be cut the same on either end, And I would bring the tile around to the side of the stove. GOOD LUCK BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:41 AM   #4

Thanks! The only problem is that both sides are going to end up with .19 of a 12x12 tile which seems rediculous to me. If I adjust the start centre line by that much then the wall on the left (most visible point of the room) will end with a full tile, but the far right (the wall that finishes with the stove on the end) will end with a .38 size tile (also rediculous but somewhat unavoidable from what I can tell and at least most of it will be hidden by the stove). Anyone got a better idea?
Old 07-17-2008, 01:57 PM   #5

Are you placing the center tile on the center point? If so, why not use it as the grout line between two tiles. Instead of two .19" tiles on either end you will have two 6.19" tiles.
kc5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:51 PM   #6

So you will end up with 9 full tiles and 2 that will be just under 8" depending on the exact size of the tile and the grout line adjustment.
HomeDepot23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:44 PM   #7

That's what we ended up doing. Thanks guys.