Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2006, 11:32 AM   #1

Share |
Tiling inside a fireplace

My fireplace walls seem to be so cold in the winter that I am sure I am losing a lot of heat thru them so I would like to insulate them further by tiling over the refractory stone bricks that line the inside. I want to get fireproof tiles, preferably 1" but don't know what tiles are made of fireproof material suitable for withstanding the heat of a fire. Can anyone help?
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:45 AM   #2
renovations

Puting a layer of tile on the fireplace is not going to insulate it appreciably, and finding appropriate material and applyiong it is not going to be easy. If the fireplace is cold when not in use, are you making sure the damper is shut? How about making a 'door' that can be stored behind the couch or wherever and then tucked into the fireplace when not in use?
Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 02:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonus
Puting a layer of tile on the fireplace is not going to insulate it appreciably, and finding appropriate material and applyiong it is not going to be easy. If the fireplace is cold when not in use, are you making sure the damper is shut? How about making a 'door' that can be stored behind the couch or wherever and then tucked into the fireplace when not in use?
The damper is closed and secure. It is the walls that seem to be letting in the cold air. I built a 2" screen and lined the back with foam insulation so I could press it against the brick fireplace front and that helps but it is such a hassle to move it when you want to build a fire because it is so heavy. I found fireproof mortar on the net but no tile that assures me they are fireproof. Today I am going outside to see if there is something that I can do from there to seal the mortar or the bricks. If anyone has any other suggestions, please speak up. I want to accomplish this before cold weather sets in. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:57 PM   #4

The damper is closed and secure. It is the walls that seem to be letting in the cold air. I built a 2" screen and lined the back with foam insulation so I could press it against the brick fireplace front and that helps but it is such a hassle to move it when you want to build a fire because it is so heavy. I found fireproof mortar on the net but no tile that assures me they are fireproof. Today I am going outside to see if there is something that I can do from there to seal the mortar or the bricks. If anyone has any other suggestions, please speak up. I want to accomplish this before cold weather sets in. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:51 PM   #5

If it is a masonry fireplace, the thermal mass of the unit will not cause any heat loss at all. If it is an older fireplace, or you can feel a draft at the throat, then you have damper issues.

You can buy firebrick in a 1-5/8" thickness, called "splits", but they will add neligible protection against heat loss, since you already have 8-24" of masonry behind them.
Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote