Tileing My Bathtub - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2006, 07:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tileing my bathtub

Hey I need some advice. I am tileing the side of my bathtub but how do i make sure that the tiles are going stright and how do i make sure there not dipping in at the top or bottom. Also if i start at the bottom how will i make sure they will line up at the top when i get there. If anyone could let me i would appericate it.

Advertisement

Josh89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:06 PM   #2
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Tileing my bathtub

Use a good 4' level to establish a level line at the height of the top of the first row of tiles above the tub and vertically up a line of tiles. Then use shims to hold the bottom row of tiles level. Maintain spacing by using the little plastic spacers available at home centers or from the tile supplier. If you are new at tile, I suggest that you set a couple of feet high and let it dry overnight to help keep the weight from trying to shift the bottom rows. There is no substitute for stepping back occassionaly and looking at the work, you will be able to spot any tiles that may heve slipped on you. Plan you layout dry before starting any cutting to get the most visually appealing job. Keep the grout line at the bottom of the first tile/tub betwen 1/16 to 1/8" , as you need to caulk this. Caulk that matches the grout color is available from tile suppliers. A hard grout line will fail miserably here, because the tub expands/contracts too much.

Advertisement

troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 08:50 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Tileing my bathtub

I always find the top line for my first row. Level a line on the wall. Then I screw a straight 1x4 to the wall. Now I can run my tile up the wall using spacers. By the end of the day or the next day I remove the 1x4 and fill in the bottom row against the tub.
sjrhome is offline   Reply With Quote