Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2010, 11:42 PM   #1

Share |
Question

tile to tub connection

I have a question regarding the wall to tub connection. I have a fiberglass tub I'm installing and i am wondering the best way to make this connection.Thinset all the way down and then grout it with the same grout used or stop at the fiberglass tub and use a cement friendly caulking behind the tile? Do I tape this seam fiberglass tub to hardibacker? I like doin things right. I am sorry i couldn"t find an answer for such a simple questions, but I have been looking. I have been impressed with the answers to the posts on this site an will be able to contribute, when it comes to something I know, working with metal and welding .lol thanks for the help.

TJ casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:17 AM   #2

tile to tub connection

If I was thinking of using a contractor I wouldn't be on this site, but I do thank you for your input.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:42 AM   #3

tile to tub connection

you put a silicon into seam between (Densdhield or concrete board) and tub.
then when you tile you put tiles over the tub edge so it overlaps (about 1/2 inch ). then you grout, then you put silicon again around tile edge and tub.

Be careful about grouting bottom part of the tub where it touches floor or wall tiles. Do not use same grout as on walls. IF you have wooden floor then even slight movement will make annoying squicking noise where acrylic tub touches grout.

There are acrylic grouts specially for this purpose.
vluzhko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:57 AM   #4

tile to tub connection

Thank you Vluzhko for clearing that up. I am wondering if I should use tape in this area as I have to overlap the tub edge by an 1 1/2 with a 1/4 3/16 inch space behind the tiles that will be filled with thinset, would using the mesh tape help in this area? and use the concrete&mortar compatible silicone? and use the acrylic grout from tub to walls and tub to tiled floor? I am sure these answers will help more then just me. Thanks
Old 03-11-2010, 11:14 AM   #5

tile to tub connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ casper View Post
Thank you Vluzhko for clearing that up. I am wondering if I should use tape in this area as I have to overlap the tub edge by an 1 1/2 with a 1/4 3/16 inch space behind the tiles that will be filled with thinset, would using the mesh tape help in this area? and use the concrete&mortar compatible silicone? and use the acrylic grout from tub to walls and tub to tiled floor? I am sure these answers will help more then just me. Thanks
I do not think you need any mesh tape as I do not see any reason why should you use it. I did not use any tape on a seam.
Normally tub is secured to studs before installing wall boards around. Boards (denshield or whatever you use) is sitting right on top of the tub edge (not overlapping). You fill the seam with normal bathroom clear silicon just to maintain moisture barrier. Boards are secured to studs as well. There will be no movement in the area where tub connects to boards. So you do not need any mesh there. Tiles will be installed to boards. Gap behind tiles is filled with thinset.

And yes, use acrylic grout where tiles are touching bath tub to prevent noise. Use normal grout everywhere else. make sure you get those grouts from same supplier with same color codes.
vluzhko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vluzhko For This Useful Post:
TJ casper (03-11-2010)
Old 03-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #6

tile to tub connection

Thanks again for your insight in this. It has answered alot of questions for me and others.