Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2007, 09:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Tile Surround on Tub

Hi again. Here's what I'm doing. I just had a tub installed in an alcove. I had the drywaller leave one foot without drywall, because I planned to put cementboard there and extend it past the 'tile flange'. I purchased 12" x 12" tiles, which are actually 1" x 1" squares that are connected in a sheet form. I am only tiling a surround about one foot above the tub on all three sides.

Here's the questions. First off, can I use the same thinset that was used for my bathroom floor tiles? If not, what is the best way to attach these 'tile sheets' to my wall? Second, can the tiles extend at all past the bottom of the cementboard by just 1/4 to 1/2 inch (the tile would be over the tile flange)? How about grout - same as floor grout for this application? Sorry this got a little lengthy - and thanks for any help you can give me!!!

leted_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Tile Surround on Tub

Even with cement board, I would recommend putting a waterproof coat like schluter kerdi or red-guard on the cement board. Once that's done, then use the thin set to put up the tiles...

The 12x12 - 1" tiles are tricky to work with... some of them, once wet from the thin set or from cutting, the mesh starts to break apart and you end up with 144 - 1" tiles... so work fast...

slakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:34 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Tile Surround on Tub

This sounds like an acrylic tub if it has a flange. These flanges are usually 1/8" thick. If you didn't fur out the wall so the flange doesn't sit proud of the framing, the cement board will "kick" out at the bottom and look slanted.
Bring the cementboard down over the flange so it's about 1/4" above the tub. When you install the tile bring it down to 1/8" above the tub. Use a saw toothed trowel with no more then a 1/4" deep rescess.
Grout with an unsanded grout. Floor grout is usually sanded grout because the grout lines are greater then 1/8".
From what you are doing with the tile, this is a tub only, no shower?
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote