Tile Over Rigid Insulation. - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2011, 04:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Talking

Tile over rigid insulation.

Hey guys, Im a first time poster and I am seeking some important information for finishing my basement. There are no problems with flooding and water. It is cold down there in the winter and I want to warm up the floors. So i am thinking of putting down a 1 inch thick rigid closed cell rigid insulation over the concrete floor. Then I was going to put down a vapour barrier and tuck tape both the vapour barrier and the rigid insulation seams. Over this I am thinking of putting 3/4 " tounge and groove OSB. I was then going to Tapcon a perimiter of 1" x 2" (to match the height of the rigid insulation) boards on the concrete floor in the rooms and screw the plywood sheeting to those boards, over top of the rigid insulation. The catch is I want to put tile down. I dont know if I can tile over 3/4" OSB which has been tapconed through to the concrete. I was planning on fastening the plywood through the rigid foam insulation to the concrete floor using tapcons. I know a tile substrait shouldnt move more than a 1/16th of an inch so the grout dosnt crack. I was woundering if there was anyone who has done this and what they would do different or if they have some suggestions. I was thinking of also putting 1 x 2 straping every 16 in to fasten to the concrete and then fasten the plywood to the boards. But then there is the issue of the insulation not being continuous. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Tas25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,578

Quote:
I know a tile substrait shouldnt move more than a 1/16th of an inch so the grout dosnt crack.
"You know" that do you?
And where is it you have found this information?
Please point me to a link or industry information that supports what it is "you know" about this.

Why do you say "OSB" then you say "plywood" then you say "OSB" then you say "plywood". What is it you are using?

Advertisement

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Most grouts that I use say that there should be no more than a 16th of an inch movement in a subfloor. Idealy I would prefer less. And I dont know if I should use plywood or OSB. OSB is cheaper and I think it dosnt expand and contract as much as Plywood. Is plywood better for a substraight? Whenever I tile I leave a 1/8" gap between sheeting and screw it to the floor and use glue. But that is over plywood subfloors. I really want to know if this is possible, or if there is a better option for tiling over and insulated substraight. Thanks.
Tas25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:17 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Most of the tilers I know use plywood and flexible grout in that type of situation. You can get plywood with insulation bonded to it.
I'm only a bricklayer though, so I would check it out with a local tiler.
stuart45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:56 AM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,192

Consider installing in floor heat---That method you are describing is likely to fail--well ,actually it will fail.

OSB and tile are not compatible--tiles don't bend --and well the process will cost you a fortune to make that work.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:46 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

The process you describe will not work as a substrate for ceramic tile.
Put the tile right on the concrete floor and put heat around the perimeter.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:38 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,578

Quote:
Most grouts that I use say that there should be no more than a 16th of an inch movement in a subfloor.
I'm still trying to learn here. Could you give me the names of the grout products you use routinely that says that on the label? I would like to see and read it for myself. So what are the brand names and what are the product names?
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,192

He's keeping that a secret,Bud---along with the sponge adhesive.

Advertisement

Bud Cline (10-16-2011)

Tags
basement floor , floor insulation , rigid foam insulation , tile installation , tile subfloor