Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2011, 02:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tile / modified thinset

Hi,

quick question about the shrink rate of modified thinset ... when tiling around an electrical outlet box ... re; mounting electrical box ... it is suggested to mount box on stud so that it will be flush with finished wall ... ie; if using 1/2" hardibacker and 1/4" tile and 1/4" layer of modified thinset (trowel) ... how much will thinset reduce down ... or ... shrink ... as it is compressed ... when mounting the tile ... and once it is set and cured ??? Ideally ... looking to find out how far out from stud I should mount electrical box ... so as ... when finished ... it won't be to far in ... or ... to far out ???

Last edited by misguydead; 09-27-2011 at 02:17 PM.
misguydead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:03 AM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,486

Tile / modified thinset

1/4" Of Thinset? Do you mean your using a 1/4" trowl?

When you press the tile one, you compress the thinset so it's not that thick....I would say that when it's all done, thinset adds maybe 1/8". Give or take a few inches....

In your case, I would consider using a mud ring on that box. Most outlet boxes don't like sticking out more than 3/4"....especially if your using the plastic ones with the nails. That is where the mud ring comes in handy....set the box...install mud ring...should be just about right.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:19 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Tile / modified thinset

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
1/4" Of Thinset? Do you mean your using a 1/4" trowl?
When you press the tile one, you compress the thinset so it's not that thick....I would say that when it's all done, thinset adds maybe 1/8". Give or take a few inches....

In your case, I would consider using a mud ring on that box. Most outlet boxes don't like sticking out more than 3/4"....especially if your using the plastic ones with the nails. That is where the mud ring comes in handy....set the box...install mud ring...should be just about right.
Thanks for your reply ... yes ... would be using a 1/4" trowel. right ... not that thick ... but ... give or take a few inches ??? What is a mud ring?
misguydead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:44 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Tile / modified thinset

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguydead

Thanks for your reply ... yes ... would be using a 1/4" trowel. right ... not that thick ... but ... give or take a few inches ??? What is a mud ring?
Thats funny, if you worried just instal a cut in box later.
OhioHomeDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:34 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Tile / modified thinset

Whether it's beneath the underlayment, or just the tile, 1/4" notched trowel used at 45 degree angle ends up being 1/8th inch. If you're doing a glass tile - as with back splashes,I've had great success with the 3\16" V notched trowel. Also, if your boxes are plastic, anything extending can be easily removedwith a hand held 4" grinder. Carefully!! or a hot knife.