Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2011, 11:59 AM   #1

Share |

Tile Edging/Rounding

I recently purchased an under mount kitchen sink and is thinking about putting porcelain tiles on the concrete counter top.

However I need some help as to how thick the counter top should be and also how can I get the tile edges rounded around the sink itself

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

ARamoutar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:56 PM   #2

Tile Edging/Rounding

If you're tiling the counter, why bother with a concrete base? Plywood and concrete board will get you what you want.
I'd pick out a grout that didn't stain or the grout lines will darken pretty quickly.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:11 PM   #3

Tile Edging/Rounding

Thanks for the advice. But how am I supposed to go about doing/using that?
ARamoutar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:18 PM   #4

Tile Edging/Rounding

how do you go about doing what? if you're asking about how to do tile countertops, it's actually quite simple.

Glue and screw two pieces of 3/4" plywood together...and cut your countertop shape from those. Be careful not to place your screws in the cutting path of the saw.

Then, cut a piece of cement board to match the countertop size and screw that to the plywood after you've installed the plywood countertops in place.

Then cut a strip for the front of the countertop, (1 1/2" + cement board thickness) and screw that to the front of the countertops.

Then trowel on mastic to 3/16" thickness using the proper trowel, and place your tiles in place with spacers that match the grout thickness you want.

Wait to dry, and install grout
Steeler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:22 PM   #5

Tile Edging/Rounding

oh, and there's really no way to bend tile that I know of, so you'd have to end up angling the corners of the sink.

Basically, tile countertops aren't a wise choice for a kitchen. They show dirt, and they're not really able to be sanitized well.

Why don't you like the concrete countertops? have you considered granite? There's something called corian, it's cheaper than granite but looks pretty similiar
Old 01-31-2011, 08:13 PM   #6
Contractor - Renovations

Tile Edging/Rounding

He wants to know how to terminate the tiles along the undermount sink.

I've seen it done somewhere but never asked. I wouldn't bother anyway.

use a stone or man-made solid surface countertop or don't use an undermount, imo
fungku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:44 PM   #7

Tile Edging/Rounding

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungku View Post
He wants to know how to terminate the tiles along the undermount sink.

I've seen it done somewhere but never asked. I wouldn't bother anyway.

use a stone or man-made solid surface countertop or don't use an undermount, imo
Bullnose tile.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:45 PM   #8
Contractor - Renovations

Tile Edging/Rounding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Bullnose tile.
Ron
the sink is still undermount and you've got plywood/cement board.

you could use a normal sink and recess it in your backerboard. or you could use the undermount the same way if you are able to mount it that way.

Last edited by fungku; 01-31-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:48 AM   #9

Tile Edging/Rounding

you need to cut the opening for the sink bowl larger and use tile vertically to face the plywood/cement board, your bull nosed tile will cover the edges of those tiles. If the bowl is rounded you might need to be creative in cutting angles or possibly looking into mosaic tiles
D Cont. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #10

Tile Edging/Rounding

In my opinion you are better of using a top mount sink instead of under mount.With a top mount you'll be able to cover the tile around sink the opening, trying to bullnose the tile around the under mount opening its almost impossible.
When i did my guest bathroom i built my own vanity from clear pine and vent even further i built my own counter top and finished of with mosaic tile and top mount Kohler sink.
In order to shape the outside edges you would need to use natural stone or natural marble that has a consistent color through t and one of these profiling wheels;
Attached Thumbnails
Tile Edging/Rounding-alpha.jpg  
SteelToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #11
Lemme make it

Tile Edging/Rounding

Sounds like they already got the undermount sink so suggesting a different one doesn't help him out at this point. I think talking you out of tiling completely is better advice. Corian, Caesarstone, or something like that would be my vote.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:32 PM   #12
Tileguy

Tile Edging/Rounding

Here's the information your looking for the rest of the advice is just chatter and some of it makes no sense what-so-ever.

Quote:
D Cont.: "you need to cut the opening for the sink bowl larger and use tile vertically to face the plywood/cement board, your bull nosed tile will cover the edges of those tiles. If the bowl is rounded you might need to be creative in cutting angles or possibly looking into mosaic tiles"
I will add that you should use liquid waterproofing in abundance to coat the edge of the substrate and the cement board at the bowl(s). The cement board probably should also be coated with waterproofing. You should also use exterior grade plywood not OSB.

That tool shown in the picture will not work for you, hand held profile wheels just simply don't work all that well. Beside that's an $80 grinder and a $400 profile tool. Hell, for that price you can probably hire the whole done.

I've lost count of how many of those counter tops I have built with undermount sinks and tile tops over the years. It's do-able and it isn't that difficult.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:35 AM   #13
Contractor - Renovations

Tile Edging/Rounding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
I've lost count of how many of those counter tops I have built with undermount sinks and tile tops over the years. It's do-able and it isn't that difficult.
Did you do any that weren't square? I can't picture any way to do one that way with curves that wouldn't look like crap.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:30 AM   #14
Tileguy

Tile Edging/Rounding

All the sinks were curved. Where would you find a square sink?
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:39 AM   #15

Tile Edging/Rounding

How do you do the corners in and undermount sink with 3" radiused corners? Chamfer them off at 45 degree angle? I guess I can't picture how to tile around a radius that small