Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2009, 09:15 PM   #1

Share |

Tie a shed roof into existing 6/12 roof

I have an existing porch (wooden) on my house and was wanting to get advice on how to attach a shed roof onto my existing house roof. I bought a repo and it is a modular home. I have a few ideas but would like to seek other advice as to what everyone else would do.
The porch size is 12' out and 24' long.
I know how I will add the pillar supports however I am wondering about the actual roof area.
I was thinking about going halfway up the roof and create the shed slope but I am having difficulty on deciding how to tie in the roofing(shingles). I am debating on the idea of removing the shingles around the section that will be covered. or just go over the top the shingles and tie into it that way. I have roofed before but have never really dealt with (tying) into any existing shingle. Seems that it would be a pain in the butt, so if I could some advice that would be great.
Thanks.

jj1122_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:37 PM   #2

Tie a shed roof into existing 6/12 roof

I'm starting on a similar project as soon as spring breaks! First it depends where you live! Snow load is the most important factor! Where I live, we have snow loads of 50 psf.
Secondly, how much slope will your roof have! Will the roof connect to the top of the wall? Or will it connect higher up on the existing roof?
My roof rafters will run to a ledger board that is lag screwed to the wall studs! I will be cutting the soffit away, to allow the rafters to engage the ledger board.
The rafters will be supported at the other end by beam constructed from three laminated 2X10's. The beam in turn will be supported every ten feet by 6X6 posts.
You will need to give more info. about your circumstances, if you want advice!

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote