Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2008, 11:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Threshold covering

Hello,

The door and wooden threshold for my walk-out cellar are exposed to the elements. I've noticed that the threshold has taken a beating and appears ready to crack on a seem. I was thinking of covering the threshold with some sort of protective covering that would keep the rain/snow off. Is there some sort of product that would accomplish this? I don't want to replace the threshold, as, other than for the potential for splitting, it's in good shape. One of my friends suggested that I simply apply an adhesive roof covering that is used on flat roofs. (I think that it comes in rolls). Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dennis

dwlodyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Threshold covering

I don't think that there's too many products out there that will be durable enough for use on a door threshold. Adhesive products won't keep water from getting into the threshold in this application anyhow.

A good sanding, a coat of primer, and a couple coats of high-durability oil-based paint might buy you some time.

I'd just save the effort and replace the threshold with a new one.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote