Thinset - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2011, 12:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

thinset

I have cement board put up I'm my tub area , can I just use thin set and put up the tile OR do i need I need to seal the cement board with Red Guard first ?

Advertisement

Marios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,208

thinset

Is it just a tub, or is there a shower too? If just a tub, I'd skip the RedGard (it's expensive). If there's a shower, you need to use it. That's how I did my own house.

Advertisement

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

thinset

Redgard is never a requirement on cement board. It is however an improvement over cement board.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

thinset

I certainly hope you put a moisture barrier BEHIND the cement board. If not, best of luck. No cement board stops moisture and framing failure will happen. I quit using any cement board years back when it seemed like all I was doing was ripping it out because of moisture barrier failures. The cement board didn't fail, the system did. All I use now is DensGuard and have had zero issues with it. We do install 2 coats of RedGard on it as a backup though. Here's installation procedures for cementboard from Hardi

NOTE: Consider HARDIBACKER 500 Ceramic Tile Backerboard for wall applications if material abuts 1/2" drywall.
1 Ensure framing is structurally sound:
Must comply with Local Building Code and ANSI A108.11
Nominal 2" x 4" wood or minimum 20 gauge metal studs must be straight, properly aligned and spaced a maximum of 16" on center.
In tub & shower enclosures, ensure that the framing is adequately reinforced at the corners.
2 Determine Layout of HARDIBACKER sheets and Score & Snap:
Sheets may be installed vertically or horizontally.
Score & Snap Sheets to required sizes and make necessary cut-outs.
All joint ends and edges must be supported by a structural framing member or added blocking.
3 Attach HARDIBACKER sheets to framing:
When butting HARDIBACKER sheets to 1/2" drywall, tack 1/4" thick furring strips to each stud.
In wet areas, install a moisture barrier (such as 15 lb. roofing felt) between studs and HARDIBACKER sheets.
Install sheets 1/4" above floor, tub or shower pan.
Fasten HARDIBACKER sheets with proper nails or screws (as listed in "Materials Required") every 8" around the perimeter and all supporting studs. Keep fasteners between 3/8" and 3/4" from sheet edges and 2" in from sheet corners.
Set fastener heads flush with the surface, without overdriving.
See detail drawings for installations with standard shower trays and molded bath or shower base.
4 Expansion joints must be designed in large tiled areas:
Expansion joints must be placed every 12 feet on center and at inside and outside corners.
NOTE: HARDIBACKER ceramic tile backerboard is not recommended nor approved for use in steam room or sauna applications.
TrapperL is offline   Reply With Quote