Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #1

Share |

Thinking of notching LVL beam for interior door RO clearance

I'm framing a doorway into our utility room, the doorway will be directly under the double LVL 14" tall microlam beam. Clearance as is now is 81.5" so I would need to notch about 1.5" into the beam for a 32" door. Typically I know this is not allowed however my situation may differ.
When the house was constructed, the LVL spaned about 12'. About 44" to the right of the new doorway (behind the furnace) then another 98" to the outside wall where it sits in a notch in the concrete block wall. I have since framed a wall under the LVL beam from the concrete wall back to the area where the door will be.
So I have basically built a load bearing wall under the beam to which now the unsupported span is 34", the width of my door RO. I'm thinking that the remaining 12.5" high double LVL is more that enough support for this short span.
If I have to trim the door to fit without cutting into the beam, then I would need to disassemble the prehung door frame and cut down the jams at the top and bottom since I would be too much material to just cut off the bottom or I would be inside the hollow core of the door. Is this cool?

The notch in the beam on the utility room door will more than likely be exposed as I more than likely won't sheetrock or have door casing on that side. So it could be seen if we ever sell and is inspected.

Oh and I know my exposed romex to the light switch is not proper. Once I switch gears to electrical work again in a week or two I will run that 16" span in thru some EMT.
Attached Thumbnails
Thinking of notching LVL beam for interior door RO clearance-100_8430.jpg   Thinking of notching LVL beam for interior door RO clearance-100_8429.jpg  

crankcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #2

should not notch a LVL without a the manufacturer's approval. could always install a 6'-6" high door.

what supports the "load bearing wall" you've built under the LVL? the concrete slab? it may or may not be capable of supporting the load.

shorter door I think will provide you a simpler solution.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
journeyman carpenter

DO NOT NOTCH THE BEAM. cut the door down. if a inspector sees the beam notched the framing will fail unless a engineer signs off on the notch being made
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
GBrackins (03-13-2013)
Old 03-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
should not notch a LVL without a the manufacturer's approval. could always install a 6'-6" high door.

what supports the "load bearing wall" you've built under the LVL? the concrete slab? it may or may not be capable of supporting the load.

shorter door I think will provide you a simpler solution.
GBrackins, your right I didn't think of that. There are no footings under that area. Just the concrete slab. So my "load bearing wall" definitely would not be.
I'm going to rechech my measurements and see if I can make it work trimming only one side of the door. Otherwise other door options will be in order.
Also, just because I'm curious. I've contacted the builder to find the supplier and manufacturer of the LVL beams. Then I may contact them to see what they say. If in the rare case that they do happen to say ok to notch, Then I will see if they are willing to submit a notarized statement approving it.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #5

as stated I'd just use a 6'-6" high door. don't have to notch, don't need anything from the manufacturer or engineer. no trimming the door. 6'-6" interior doors are common in my area due to older homes with lower ceilings.

just a thought ..... Good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:10 AM   #6

It's better you should not notch the LVL beam with without the permission and approval of manufacturer, because if the LVL beam is notched the framing will fail. You can cut down the door or you can try out 6'-6" high door.
Kershaws-Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
as stated I'd just use a 6'-6" high door. don't have to notch, don't need anything from the manufacturer or engineer. no trimming the door. 6'-6" interior doors are common in my area due to older homes with lower ceilings.

just a thought ..... Good luck!
GBrakins, Unfournately I started staining my std height door just before my first post here , but the good news is I double checked my measurements and my height to the bottom of the beam is 81.75". My prehung jam measures 82" So I trimmed 1/2" off my door and If I trim 3/4" off the jam, I will have 1/4" on the top to shim and I will decrease my height under the door to 3/4" from 1" My floor and door swing area is nice and level and it will open to concrete. I may even remove the header of my prehung frame and tack up a piece of 1/4" oak and new door stop for 1/2" more clearance above. Have to have someting in place for backer to catch the casing so I can keep the same margins on the finished side too. Then I could get by trimming less off the jam and keep original 1" clearance under the door as carpet will be under the door when it's closed. It's gonna be close here but i think I got it.

It sure looked high enough when I bought my standard door

Haven't heard back from the LVL mfg, and I expect they would not allow notching and require an engineer to look at anyhow with the involved load calc's.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:43 AM   #8
Roofmaster

Boy, you are doing a lot of thinking for a seldom used closet door, especially when you already have the clearance you need at 81.75. If the glulam is dead on level, you dont need to shim at all, just cut a hair off the jambs. Much ado about nothing.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #9

how tall is your jamb? the door jamb i just removed from my bathroom measures 81-1/2. the door measures 79-7/8. i would trim the jamb down the little bit it needs to fit under the beam. you might have to trim 1/2 inch off the bottom of the door for clearance after your floor is installed.

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote