Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
I ask the impossible!

Share |

Thinking ahead about pool site prep

Since a tree has fallen in our back yard, we are in a position that it would be more reasonable to fit in a small pool. This is something we'd put in next year at the soonest, but I want to understand anything I might want to consider as far as ground condition. The pool footprint will probably include some of the area where the tree stump is, and I'm going to be grinding the stump myself by renting a machine. Should I do anything different to try to provide a stable ground base for the pool?

Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:32 PM   #2

Thinking ahead about pool site prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillK View Post
Since a tree has fallen in our back yard, we are in a position that it would be more reasonable to fit in a small pool. This is something we'd put in next year at the soonest, but I want to understand anything I might want to consider as far as ground condition. The pool footprint will probably include some of the area where the tree stump is, and I'm going to be grinding the stump myself by renting a machine. Should I do anything different to try to provide a stable ground base for the pool?
Take the stump out if you plan on putting a pool over it. Do it asap so the soils will have ample time to settle over the winter/spring. Only grinding leaves a good amount of wood in the ground which wille ventually decompose and sink. Won't sink much, but will sink more than a pool liner likes. Taking the wood out will relieve that possibility.