Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #1

Share |

Thinking about excavating around outside of foundation

My old foundation red clay tile walls have a lot of crumbling mortar. I would like to keep this foundation going for a while longer. I could do some tuckpointing from the inside, but doing it from the outside would allow me to address some moisture issues and install a sump pump.

I'm concerned about the safety of excavating around the outside of the foundation. Would I be able to build some temporary walls from the inside? Would that be enough support?

I've talked to a couple of masons and concrete guys and some of them think remortaring this type of foundation is just "throwing good money at a bad foundation" and they said my money would be better spent just replacing it (more cost effectively with some concrete blocks).

I've yet to get a bid on this remortaring, damp proofing and sump pit installation job, but I have gotten a bid on how much a foundation replacement will cost.

Does anyone here with experience in these matters have any thoughts or advice you'd be willing to share? Thank you.
strategery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
Roofmaster

You need to post some pictures. Judging by what was used to build your foundation, your existing "Mortar" might be mostly sand. If your foundation is supporting the weight of your house OK you may be able to parge the outside of the foundation, then waterproof it. I personally do not think that anything you do on the inside is going to do anything at all. Not being there to see it, we can only speculate.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:17 PM   #3

There is nothing wrong with tuckpointing on the inside. You can do this yourself.

I need to do the same as you on a house-excavate, tuckpoint, plaster, install tile, waterproof, insulate.

I had a house lifted back in 2005 and footings/poured walls installed. It was 24x40 and I had 3 window wells poured in place and an exterior entry (retaining walls). I think the basement cost me 12 and the lift/drop was 7.

One advantage to doing this is that you will get a liveable basement. You can go with 9' walls if you like.

Keep us posted.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote