Think I Figured Out Cause Of Leak - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2008, 05:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

think I figured out cause of leak

I posted awhile back, here is another picture of leak, and what I think the cause is after removing stained MDF board on bottom of window sill. Waterproof tape was tucked underneath window instead of overlapping on bottom (see second pic) You can see that tape appears wider (not tucked) on sides and top of window than on bottom (pic 3) which explains why there are no leaks on sides or top. Is this the likely cause? And if so, is the easiest fix to remove bottom window row of siding and re-tape (pic 4). Framing crew installed windows so I am assuming they should be responsible for fixing problem if indeed this is the cause, correct?
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
think I figured out cause of leak-house-006.jpg   think I figured out cause of leak-leak-001.jpg   think I figured out cause of leak-ellie3-036.jpg   think I figured out cause of leak-leak-003.jpg  

Advertisement

ugabulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:51 PM   #2

No response if tape was put on incorrectly or if this looks like source of leak??

Advertisement

Old 06-04-2008, 07:53 AM   #3
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,018

The bottom flange of the window should not be taped because it can trap moisture.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:15 PM   #4

ok, I guess I didn't find cause of leak then...., only thing I can see is that the bottom piece of waterproof tape was not run up the sides of window rough opening and the tyvek was taped over instead of overlapping tape, possible causes?? Only other cause I can think of is not enough silicone or nails on window flange....I have a call into framer, hopefully he will fix the problem. If not I was either going to silicone under bottom of window from inside or remove bottom two rows of siding and re-tape and silicone.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:34 PM   #5
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Could it of been that the window was left unlocked or something was keeping the weather striping from making contact with the sill of the window, and you had a wind driven rain make the window leak onto the interior sill. just a thought? BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
Could it of been that the window was left unlocked or something was keeping the weather striping from making contact with the sill of the window, and you had a wind driven rain make the window leak onto the interior sill. just a thought? BOB
wish it was that easy Bob, during last heavy rain we checked and no water was visible anywhere, definetly coming from underneath. Also whe I removed the water stained MDF sill, I could see water damage started from underneath window

Last edited by ugabulldog; 06-04-2008 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:13 PM   #7
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

was the sill shimmed or was it nailed directly to the framing. next thing ,this might sound silly but do you have running water, if so hit the window with water now that the sill is off, Note start at the bottom and check, then move up about a foot and check again, keep going up a little at a time until you see water. give each test about ten minutes before you continue. this is the only sure way to find the leak imo. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:11 PM   #8
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,018

I don't know if this is the cause but it looks like the house wrap isn't layered correctly over the taped top flange. For new construction this shouldn't be an issue however because the caulk between the window and siding should prevent any water penetration. It's when the caulk gets old is when water starts to get by it.

Advertisement

Last edited by Clutchcargo; 06-04-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Clutchcargo is offline   Reply With Quote