Thermal Break - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Thermal Break

Here's what I have...

Current situation: A breeze way in between garage and main house with the exterior door in between. (See attached)

Modified situation: The door pictured will be eliminated and a new door will be faced on the front set back a couple of feet to maintain a little overhead, but will now enter in to a mud room (see attached for the plan)

My question is this...does a therma break need to be installed (cut into the existing slab) at the door sill?

Thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Thermal Break-img_1239.jpg  
Attached Images

Advertisement

mykquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Thermal Break

You'll always have an uninsulated underneath your mud room, unless you lift it up and insulate underneath the new sub floor; or tear out, insulate and re-pour the slab there. I'd leave the exterior door in place if I were you. the mud room will still be quite a bit warmer than the old breezeway in the winter, but it would be an unheated area.

have you considered the insurance ramifications of this alteration?

Advertisement

forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thermal Break

The new mud room will have heat coming from the kitchen and we're considering radiant heat under tile as well as insulation throughout. Will also be insulating the garage at some point next spring.

Not sure I catch your meaning about insurance ramifications?
mykquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,080

Thermal Break

You will want to isolate the entry slab from the garage bricks for a thermal/capillary break.
The wall bricks will wick the heat from the room to the colder garage and house walls.
Re-routing the hood fan ? through the new space may be a challenge. At least you will solve the mold problem and ineffective flashing.

Gary