There's A Hole Under My Foundation - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2011, 06:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

There's a hole under my foundation

I was looking at the waste pipe that leads out of my basement to the street. It had some wood pieces covering the access. When I poked a flashlight in there I noticed that the dirt under the foundation - where the pipe leaves the house - was gone and the was a hole a foot or so deeper running to the outside. It's probably about 8 feet below outside ground level (front yard). This cant be a good thing. Any thoughts about how to fix that? just fill in with rocks?
Attached Thumbnails
There's a hole under my foundation-pipe4.jpg   There's a hole under my foundation-pipe10.jpg   There's a hole under my foundation-p1pe2.jpg  

Advertisement

gruntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 664

Clean just the hole out the best you can, a bigger shop vac would work well then fill it with Hydrolic cement.
Fill just the area under the foundation.
The rest of the area needs to be kept asseable because there's a sewer clean out down there, that's why it was left open.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

Nope, you just cover with a concrete slab to keep people from falling in, and make sure that critters & bugs can not enter. There was a reason when the previous home owners did that. Is there a back-flow preventer on your sewage drain? If not, there should be, if you are in a area that experiences frequent flooding, or heavy rains.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,286

Ayuh,.... I'd put the wooden cover back over it,...

It ain't hurtin' a thing....
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:41 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Nope, you just cover with a concrete slab to keep people from falling in, and make sure that critters & bugs can not enter. There was a reason when the previous home owners did that. Is there a back-flow preventer on your sewage drain? If not, there should be, if you are in a area that experiences frequent flooding, or heavy rains.
Thanks - Im in the NE and I get a lot of snow. I dont have a back-flow preventer. Ive seen one of those - Mike Holmes was demonstrating one on a show. I guess it would go right there when the cleanout is?
gruntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

The cleanout should be between it and the exit pipe. Reason being, is that you do not want to catch the flapper, if you have to use a cutter blade.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote