Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2009, 11:35 PM   #1

Share |

Is there a better (more durable) exterior material than stucco?

Living out here in Southern California, bricks are just not permitted due to the earthquakes. Stucco is the main exterior material of choice --and I can understand why: It's basically a cement coating of your house. But I was just wondering if you guys are aware of materials that would actually out-perform conventional stucco for an exterior covering... Or is stucco king?
perpetualjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:15 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

what look are you interested in? In NE I have done siding with 6-12" granite stones. Much stronger than stucco. You can consider cement siding which comes in shakes or planks. This will not crack as much as stucco does and colors last better.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:41 AM   #3

FRS. Fiber Reinforced Stucco.

It can be applied with a scratch, brown and finish coat or just a brown and finish coat to save on cost.

The Fiber makes it a lot stronger.
KHouse75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:04 AM   #4

Well I'm really not considering any sort of "look" just yet. I'm still simply trying to find the most durable and long-lasting material for my home. I like the granite stone! Must cost a fortune though!!
Old 06-12-2009, 04:14 PM   #5

Check out a product called Carerra (sp?). It is a one-coat stucco that is sold in buckets, and the stuff is incredible. It can be applied over LP smart system siding and trim boards and gets a 50 year warranty. I tried a 3 pound mallet on some samples and was able to slightly dimple it but couldn't crack it. It is flexible and durable. I took the same samples to the gun range (at the request of a rep) and put holes through it with a .223 carbine and a .45 auto pistol...Clean holes, no cracking or flaking. I hate stucco and I am completely sold on the stuff. I know it is gaining popularity here and in the south, and they might have distribution in your neck of the woods. Worth a look.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:52 PM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

so you are placing stucco over siding? Seems expensive, but a different look for sure.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:54 PM   #7

I'm not. I've got a house that's half stucco and half exterior wallboard that's rotting away (even in the desert!). I'm going to be doing some room additions and just want to explore exterior coating options. I'm a fan of ANYTHING that will last a super long time and withstand the desert climate.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:20 PM   #8
Remodeling Contractor

sorry, I was referring to the product and method posted by thekctermite
Old 06-12-2009, 08:57 PM   #9

I have a kevlar house. From what I've heard, it should last a very long time. You might want to look into that possibility.
You need to be careful about the supplier, as I've heard they can be unreliable.
You know, low bidder...
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:53 AM   #10

here is a product you might want to look into.Its called Conpro Flex by Conproco Inc. You put on your brown and finish coat of skin coat then you can trowel ,paint it on or even roll it on depending on the finish you want.Its acrylic synthetic so it last longer and comes in over 57 colors.I am useing it on my home here in Pa.and was told it will hold up very well to the harsh winters so far its doing well and goes on easy.Its is very DIY freindly.I am not sure if this is the same as the other produts mentioned
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote