DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Is there any way to move utility boxes for a retaining wall?

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  GBrackins 
#1 ·
I designed a retaining wall but didn't consider these boxes. One is electric and two appear to be phone line (me and prob neighbor). Can I have them moved? There must be a practical answer since they are on a slope next to the sidewalk that is always dirty because there is no wall. The yellow flag represents a rough idea of the border corner of the property.

See less See more
#2 ·
The answer would be to call the utilities involved.
A more practical solution would be to box around them. Step the wall behind the utilities.

#3 ·
Thanks Ron, I'm calling the city right now and then plan to call edison next. I would rather go around and include the boxes if possible which would require the boxes to be raised about 3-4'. Going short of the boxes is possible but it would look terrible with the soil falling on the sidewalk all the time. The sidewalk is only 26.5' long from the driveway corner to the yellow flag in the pick.

#7 ·
The answer that you would get from the utility, is no. Most will read off this script that customers are not to do anything around the location of the equipment, due to damage of the cables there can happen. I would venture to guess that in your area, the cables are no further than about 12 inches under the top soil.

#8 · (Edited)
chances are your property line is actually behind the utility boxes (between your home and the boxes). These handhold boxes are typically (at least in my area) installed within the road right-of-way. This is the line that separates your property from the street. A lot of people think it is the back of sidewalk which is seldom the location of the right-of-way line.

you can check with the building department and see if they have an as-built foundation plan on record for your home. This would let you know how far from the front corners of your foundation it is to the right-of-way line. Of course this as-built plan should have been prepared either by a professional engineer of land surveyor, and should include their registration stamp on the drawings. Would give you a rough idea of where the line is.

typically if you construct a wall or fence, etc. within the right-of-way the town/city can require your to remove it. don't forget (don't know how deep your retaining wall is to be) that there are under ground utilities that run from the handhold boxes to your dwelling.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.