Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2013, 11:43 PM   #1

Share |

Is there any reason...

...to not Kerdi the entire bathroom? Doesn't it make sense to kerdi the bathroom outside the shower so you can walk out of a shower walk out worrying about water?

busyhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:08 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Is there any reason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyhammer View Post
...to not Kerdi the entire bathroom? Doesn't it make sense to kerdi the bathroom outside the shower so you can walk out of a shower walk out worrying about water?
Costs and if you are tiling the whole space, would be why you would use Kerdi on all six sides.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:18 AM   #3

Is there any reason...

Not sure I understand about the tiling.. Is there a problem with tiling over kerdi? Cost is a nonissue as this is a small bathroom and comes to about 150 extra...
Old 09-21-2013, 05:17 AM   #4

Is there any reason...

cost is the only reason. kerdi is meant to be tiled over.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fix'n it For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (09-21-2013)
Old 09-21-2013, 06:22 AM   #5
journeyman carpenter

Is there any reason...

kerdi is only needed in the shower. its a water proofing membrane
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #6
Bill Kearney

Is there any reason...

The amount of moisture you're going to drop on the floor after walking out of a shower is pretty minimal. Especially if you swipe yourself down to remove most of it before getting out. But even without doing that you're likely looking at less than a glass of water coming off of you. Not really enough to overcome a decent tile job, and certainly enough to evaporate within a few minutes.

I towel off inside the shower before getting out anyway, as I prefer to avoid the risk falling down due to wet tile.

But if you've got a tub there then I would very much consider waterproofing most, if not all, of the nearby floor. Kids, guests, washing the dog, etc, are all likely candidates for water sloshing out of it. Best to keep that up on the floor and not into the framing below.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #7

Is there any reason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99
The amount of moisture you're going to drop on the floor after walking out of a shower is pretty minimal. Especially if you swipe yourself down to remove most of it before getting out. But even without doing that you're likely looking at less than a glass of water coming off of you. Not really enough to overcome a decent tile job, and certainly enough to evaporate within a few minutes.

I towel off inside the shower before getting out anyway, as I prefer to avoid the risk falling down due to wet tile.

But if you've got a tub there then I would very much consider waterproofing most, if not all, of the nearby floor. Kids, guests, washing the dog, etc, are all likely candidates for water sloshing out of it. Best to keep that up on the floor and not into the framing below.
This is what I think too .. Why not just do it for the cases like spills dogs etc... I think it's the better way to go to kerdi as much as a budget will allow.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #8
Bill Kearney

Is there any reason...

I did my whole bath in redguard. Looked like a slaughterhouse during the application. But it was a great way to quickly seal up all the corners and edges of a tub surround setup. I think it would probably be less expensive and likely easier the laying membrane. Maybe amount the same amount of time, either way.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wkearney99 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (09-21-2013)
Old 09-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
Retired from the grind

Is there any reason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyhammer View Post
This is what I think too .. Why not just do it for the cases like spills dogs etc... I think it's the better way to go to kerdi as much as a budget will allow.
When I did our floor, I used DensShield. When I prepped the next door neighbor's floor, I used HomeLux waterproofing membrane.

Walls in my place are just Greenboard, due to we have a Tub Surround. If I was tiling the walls, floor, ceiling, yes I would have used Kerdi or HomeLux (a lot more expensive, at around $67 a roll), to give a good waterproof seal.

In turn though, the room does not breathe, so you need to bring in make up air, so that the exhaust fan can do its job, in drying out all surfaces.

I can see someone doing this for a dog wash room, or if they have a steam shower, or just have kids that soak the bath so bad, that the floor looks like the tub or shower, when they get out.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote