Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2007, 01:44 AM   #1
despriate4repairs

Rewards Points: 75
Question

Textured Drywall

What is the best most cost effective (and long lasting) way to repair this horrible drywall!?!?!??!

Who ever thought textured walls were in seriously needs to be beat up!!!!!

My husband is thinking gut the whole thing and replace ALL the walls and this is like the biggest portion of our remodeling cost.... there has to be a better way to do that.

I ditched the old project and desided to buy a new house. i am still working on closing in but look its so pretty! Good bye indiana! Texas i am coming home! http://picasaweb.google.com/lcdallas/StonecrestMar2007?authkey=uBdQZFC_Fnw
depriate4repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 01:57 AM   #2
despriate4repairs

Question

Textured Drywall

I found this on another website.....

IS THIS A GOOD OR BAD IDEA???

Quote:
Originally Posted by depriate4repair
I saw this on another website, but I can't remember where -- I thought it was a neat way to get rid of a texture you hate: "If the texture is not too deep, level and smooth the walls using drywall compound. It would be very difficult to REMOVE the texture... and some wall damage could occur... so using drywall compound is the better and less difficult way to go. Use the first coat to fill in all the major depressions. A 12" taping knife is essential for leveling broad surfaces. The second coat refines the first coat. Use the taping knife... dry... to knock off any high spots from the first coat. Then fill in the defects left in the first coat. After the second coat dries, you might want to do a little sanding with a 120 grit paper or sanding screen. A vacuum with a sanding screen attachment is the lowest dust option. Now apply the third coat of compound. This third coat may not even be necessary, or at worst should be a final leveling of any remaining unevenness in the wall. Do a final sanding with a 220 grit paper or screen to get the walls flat. Vacuum thoroughly and wipe the walls with a slightly damp sponge... rinse frequently... to remove any residual dust and smooth in any scratches from the sanding. Prime the walls with any high quality primer intended for drywall. If any stains or discoloration have appeared in the compound, use a stain killing primer such as Kilz. Then apply sizing over the primer before wallpapering. There are special paint removers (try a paint store) designed to remove heavy wall textures, also, though I can't testify to their effectiveness from first-hand experience. If the texture is water based, you can also use a wallpaper steamer to soften it for scraping but you might damage your walls."

I ditched the old project and desided to buy a new house. i am still working on closing in but look its so pretty! Good bye indiana! Texas i am coming home! http://picasaweb.google.com/lcdallas/StonecrestMar2007?authkey=uBdQZFC_Fnw
Old 03-19-2007, 07:55 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Textured Drywall

We have done many, many skim coatings over textured walls....Only problem is that they will never be perfectly smooth. They will have the 'illusion' of being completely smooth, but if that wall is 'smack-dab' in front of serious downlighting or a sunny window...there could be some wincing on your part...

So this method is ok, but it has some limitations. FWIW-most of the walls that we skimmed were in basement areas, thus not highly visible.

On the other hand.....if you want to do the job right and be able to look at it on a bright sunny day and not cringe, then you should gut and re-do. I am not saying that it can't be skim coated and come out right....to cut corners...you could try it. (FWIW - When we do skim over texture - we stiplulate in our contract that there are no guarantees for perfect smoothness)

Options:

1.) This is the least costly method: Skim over to a smooth surface. If you go this route, make sure that you find someone who actually knows how to do this and has done it before...

2.) Costly: Go over the walls with new 3/8" sheetrock. Attach these with long screws into the studs. You would have to bring out all window and door jambs to match...also an extra expense.

3.) Most Costly: Gut and install new sheetrock.

4.) Another alternative: Skim coat over like what was discussed earlier and then add a layer of different texture. Like 'orange peel'....it covers alot of minor imperfections. Examples:

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 03-19-2007 at 08:01 AM. Reason: spelling
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:09 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Textured Drywall

Here is an idea. How about you cover the whole area with a thin (like 1/4 " ) drywall. Going over the whole thing with mud and sanding seems very labor intensive and costly. Your contractor would probably be able to find someone to do this easier. You will be happier with the final results. If insulation is also in the equation then that could change the whole thing.

Quote:
2.) Costly: Go over the walls with new 3/8" sheetrock. Attach these with long screws into the studs. You would have to bring out all window and door jambs to match...also an extra expense.
Good point didn't think of the extra expence in windows and door jambs!

Last edited by HAASEMAN2003; 03-19-2007 at 08:16 AM.
HAASEMAN2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 09:56 AM   #5
despriate4repairs

Textured Drywall

Atlantic that is GREAT looking. I relize that those pics are not totally smooth but its hard to explain. the drywall has this horrid swirl pattern in it now... its a modular house.... the pattern isnt deep but if you were to paint over it.. you would still see the stupid swirls.... The orange peel effect isnt bad at all.... wow that would be like 10,000 time better! i am going to show my husband....

Old 03-19-2007, 01:20 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Textured Drywall

I agree that orange peal is a nice looks. Is that done with a hopper or some sort of textured brush??
petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 01:25 PM   #7

Textured Drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrucci View Post
I agree that orange peal is a nice looks. Is that done with a hopper or some sort of textured brush??
I can't tell you all our secrets....
Old 03-19-2007, 01:26 PM   #8

Textured Drywall

....Actually .... It's done with a hopper and sprayer...
Old 03-19-2007, 01:29 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 25

Textured Drywall

SHHHHH Don't tell anyone but its not that hard. If I can do it anyone can!
HAASEMAN2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:42 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

Textured Drywall

Looks like a modular home?
If it is then you need to replace the wall coverings, even plaster weld will not help you here, no drywall mud will stick to the walls. Tear it off and do it right.
If it not, remove all the wall paper and the adhesive with chemical and or steam, apply plaster weld and float with drywall compound.
Most cost effective, overlay the walls with 1/4" drywall and finish to your needs.
My thoughts, I would do it right and remove the existing, install insolation and drywall, at least 1/2", extention jambs might be needed but are also cheap for you doors and windows when it comes doing the job right, ask any contractor, or trim carpenter, its a matter of running a board the table saw.
The worse the walls are finished, the harder the trim is to install, and more it will cost when it comes to trim.
Do the job right, get with a contractor that cares about the end result, we have done this several times and are very happy, we own several rentals and could sell them at any time because of this, not to anouther landlord, but a homeowner. Do it right, it will only pay back later.
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:36 PM   #11

Textured Drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAASEMAN2003 View Post
SHHHHH Don't tell anyone but its not that hard. If I can do it anyone can!
I wouldn't say it is that easy.

We were once called into an almost-finished new Hotel (major chain) to finish up orange peel application because 2 pro drywall companies got kicked off the job for their orange peel.
The texture was not up to par...and these were the pros doing it...
(consistent application, consistent texture pattern, no detectabla/visible spray pattern, no drips, no chunks, no ridges, etc).......

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 03-19-2007 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Spelling