Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #1

Share |

termites ate our ledger board

Hello everyone,

Seems like every time we fix a problem, another arises to take its place. Last year around September I tore the deck down due to less than safe building of the deck by the builders.

I just left the ledger board exposed (probably VERY stupid) until yesterday, when I finally decided to put adhesive flashing over the ledger board until I can build a new deck.

I looked at the ledger board, and I found what seems to me like termite damage. I'm about 70% sure, but when I first took the deck down last September, the ledger board had no visible damage....Could the termite damage be this bad in only 8 months????

Here is a good section:

Here is a portion that I found what I believe is dead termites?

Here is the overall of what I'm looking at, the parts where there is red arrows are the parts that have some damage.

Did I screw up by not covering it up after I took the deck out? How bad does the damage look? I'm calling an exterminator to come to take a look, but I am freaking out because we can't afford another few thousand dollars to get the boards fixed..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

6fthook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #2

Actually I think I see black ants in the third to last picture not termites. Termites are white.
Should be easier to get rid of ants than termites and then repair the damage. Ants will usually only move into wood that is already damaged from rot, so once the damage is repaired you will likely be fine. An inspection from a pest professional would probably be a good choice.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #3

I just took apart a deck that had some pieces that looked very similar. The "bad" places where ONLY on the inside of wood that was doubled up....meaning the bugs like the WET lumber. MAN i HATE those things !

Correct me if i'm wrong, is that not your SILL ?
illnastyimpreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #4

joed: Yeah they looked like dead black ants...Do they eat wood like termites too? Or do you think the damage shown is water damage, and the ants just moved into the space?

illnastyimpreza: haha yes, looking at the sill...my mistake.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #5

Google carpenter ants.
Curious if the sills were pressure treated? Some pics look like no and others perhaps.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #6

Look for mud tunnels.
You have some really seroius issues going on there.
That bottom plate sure does look like it's not pressure treated.
No matter what it is it's all going to have to come out.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #7

The pest control company is coming next week to look, but until then for our piece of mind, since there are so many dead ones in the pictures shown, is that a good sign? Or is it possible for more to be deep inside the wood?

After the pest control company comes to look, I'm going to have a contractor come in to give me an estimate to get it fixed. Until then, how much do you think the repair can range from?
Old 05-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #8

I would guess that replacing the double mudsill, rim joist, sheathing strip and siding could be a 2-3 day job, assuming the problem is just in one wall, and you have easy access to the floor joists and foundation wall from the basement side. If you have a finished basement, the job gets significantly more complicated and expensive. Asking for cost estimates--even ballpark ranges--is frowned upon on this form (see sticky post). That said, the procedure is well established and fairly routine, so I've given you a best-case scenario effort estimate.
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #9

Just one of the dozens of reason to not attach a ledger to the side of a house.
Lets guess, no flashing over the ledger. no spacers to hold the ledger out away from the rim joist, no Storm and Ice Shield behind the ledger on the wall to protect the sheathing.
This and having a deck build even with a door sill cost home owners hundreds of thousands of dollars ever year and could be prevented.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote