Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2011, 09:34 AM   #1
I ask the impossible!

Share |

Temporary support ideas for temporary beams?

Pictured below is the before and after of how I've constructed temporary support where stacks of concrete blocks needed to be removed to clear the area I am excavating for one spread footing. This is one footing out of 6 which will support 6x6 posts under a triple 2x10 beam.

This tempoarary support was easy to do, with my house there were 3 unused adjustable jack posts. At $30 each, that is $60 of support, so to do this for 5 more footings, I need $300 of temporary adjustable columns.

Is there a more cost effective and safe alternative?
Attached Thumbnails
Temporary support ideas for temporary beams?-100_2609.jpg   Temporary support ideas for temporary beams?-first-footing.jpg  

WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Never, ever, turn concrete blocks on their sides like that. They have very little strength that way. The holes go vertical, NOT so you can see through the sides of the blocks.

Yes, I understand that was already done that way.... but this is to inform our readers to never do that.

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
I ask the impossible!

Not that I want this to turn into a thread about the wrong way to do things, but I could point out so many things that are done wrong in my house that I should probably just put something in my signature along the lines of:

"Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner."

For the entertainment value, there are support columns that I would have to say are worse. Let me re-emphasize, these are examples of what NOT to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Temporary support ideas for temporary beams?-100_2646.jpg   Temporary support ideas for temporary beams?-100_2661.jpg  
Old 03-16-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
Still Learning

Wow thats outrageous!!! You need to slap the previous homeowner!!!
thehvacguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehvacguy View Post
Wow thats outrageous!!! You need to slap the previous homeowner!!!
"Slap"? No, SHOOT!
Old 03-16-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
I ask the impossible!

Actually, I hate to use the word pity, but I can't think of a word that fits better. We bought the house from the son of the guy who bought the house in the early 70's, and the seller inheritted it when his dad died from a heart attack. I know that the seller grew up there with at least 2 other sisters, and one of his sisters was with him at the closing. Let me just say that I suspect that lead-based paint was in the air at this house. And as such, getting lath and plaster out of the bedrooms and all of the old paint that was on it was a high priority, as was having the ducts professionally cleaned.
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
Still Learning

Im sorta in the same situation with my home. Its my dads house and he hired a bunch of nobody's to work on it. Luckily nothing is wrong structurally, its just the plumbing, electrical, hvac, tile, plaster, stucco, and cabinetry
thehvacguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:10 PM   #8
I ask the impossible!

So, uh, I'm pretty much going to have to either stick with stacks of concrete blocks or adjustable jack posts, aren't I (for my temp. supports)
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:12 PM   #9

No comment...... Fix the choked flex heat supply. I like the decking joint over the air joist... Have fun!

Gary
Old 03-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #10
Old School

We did a very, very thorough job of discussing this through a series of no less than thirty posts a year or two back.
I tried to do a SEARCH for that thread, but I am only able to search back 500 posts.

I guess the mods either archive stuff that old or simply delete it.

Either way, I am far too lazy to begin that thread again.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:37 PM   #11
I ask the impossible!

Well, since this isn't going to be a project that is going to go fast, here's what I'm thinking.

First off, I passed my footing inspection on the first 2 footings where I have them dug and forms in place, and I purchased my first 16 bags of concrete. I'm using the 60 lb bags for now because carrying 80 lbs while crawling - not happenning. So 24"x24"x12" = 12 60 lb. bags in theory, and I have more so I can get the first footing done. My goal this weekend to get my 2 footings poured. That and I want to move the swingset from my parents house so the kids can play outside and make life a little easier by giving them something more to do.

Assuming I get that done, the concrete will need to set up 5 days before I can start any sort of loading. Which is fine, I work during the week and I have a few things I can do in the evening. So next weekend, I will be getting some extra money with my paycheck from some overtime and some reimbursements. I'll buy materials for my first 2 posts and for the first beam.

Because I intend to replace the 2x6 joists with 2x8, I can build the new beams where I need to and leave a gap to the joists. Beyond the 2 posts I can put up, I will be able to support the new beam with temporary stacks of blocks. Then I can jack up joists and put 2x6 between the beam, taking weight off of cement blocks that need to come out for the digging of footings, and then I can proceed with more footings.

I can also start on footings for my second beam, which can be placed where there aren't stacks of concrete blocks in the way. When I get to a point where 2 beams are supported over enough length by posts, I could start floor demo and joist replacement, although it'd be ideal to do that with enough new materials on hand to demo and install a section same day. We'll see.